-   -   F15/Gnash: can watch YouTube, but not Dailymotion (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/600997-f15-gnash-can-watch-youtube-but-not-dailymotion.html)

Oliver Ruebenacker 11-21-2011 06:27 PM

F15/Gnash: can watch YouTube, but not Dailymotion

Hello,

I'm running F15 with Gnash as a flash plugin on Firefox. I can now
watch videos on YouTube, but not on DailyMotion - the area where the
video would appear first turns black and then white and nothing else
happens. How can I fix this? Thanks!

Take care
Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org)

"T.C. Hollingsworth" 11-21-2011 07:42 PM

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * Hello,
>
> *I'm running F15 with Gnash as a flash plugin on Firefox. I can now
> watch videos on YouTube, but not on DailyMotion - the area where the
> video would appear first turns black and then white and nothing else
> happens. How can I fix this? Thanks!

Gnash most likely does not support some feature of Flash DailyMotion
uses. You can report a bug to the Gnash team to see if they can fix
it:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/bugs.html

There is another free software alternative to Flash called LightSpark
that might work better. Unfortunately, it relies on patent-encumbered
codecs, so it's only available from RPMFusion. If you have the
rpmfusion-free repository enabled, you can just "yum install
lightspark", otherwise see http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration for
instructions.

-T.C.

Shiv Manas 11-21-2011 07:54 PM

F15/Gnash: can watch YouTube, but not Dailymotion

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth
<tchollingsworth@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * * Hello,
>>
>> *I'm running F15 with Gnash as a flash plugin on Firefox. I can now
>> watch videos on YouTube, but not on DailyMotion - the area where the
>> video would appear first turns black and then white and nothing else
>> happens. How can I fix this? Thanks!
>
> Gnash most likely does not support some feature of Flash DailyMotion
> uses. *You can report a bug to the Gnash team to see if they can fix
> it:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/bugs.html
>
> There is another free software alternative to Flash called LightSpark
> that might work better. *Unfortunately, it relies on patent-encumbered
> codecs, so it's only available from RPMFusion. *If you have the
> rpmfusion-free repository enabled, you can just "yum install
> lightspark", otherwise see http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration for
> instructions.
>
> -T.C.

LightSpark isn't fully an "alternative" to Gnash - well, not yet
anyways. I mean, you can install LightSpark along with Gnash, and your
system can fallback to Gnash if you come across a flash object that
LightSpark can't handle.

As for DailyMotion, you should just use the HTML5 player instead (just
like you should for youtube).

http://www.dailymotion.com/en/html5