Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

Default Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/

What is your experience ?

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Finnur Örn Guğmundsson

Valent Turkovic wrote:

http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/

What is your experience ?

Cheers,
Valent.

Fedora is a operating system with a very short support time, that is,
updates will only be available for each release for around 1 year (when
Fedora 9 comes out Fedora 7 will stop receiving updates). So if you plan
on running your system longer then 1 year or so you should choose
something that has longer support cycle (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu LTS?).

My 2 cents ....
Finnur

Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Les Mikesell

Valent Turkovic wrote:

http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/

What is your experience ?

That's pretty close to my experience and I'd throw in several kernel
updates that would not boot on my hardware and firewire drives that
weren't recognized for a year or so. But people usually want servers to
run for longer than fedora's expected life cycle anyway, so why even
attempt it?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Valent Turkovic

Valent Turkovic wrote:

http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/

What is your experience ?

Cheers,
Valent.

My personal experience is that OpenSuse is a terrible server and I also
use CentOS now for my home server.

Valent.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/
>
> What is your experience ?

The general wisdom from fedora power users is:
- Fedora for the desktop / workstation
- CentOS for the home server or other unsupported server
- RedHat for a serious server or otherwise when support is needed

* by support I mean paid support

Also, SELinux isn't nearly that hard. I wouldn't put a box on the open
internet without SELinux.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Tim Alberts

Valent Turkovic wrote:

http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/

What is your experience ?

Cheers,
Valent.

I think I could have written that article myself. I couldn't agree
more. I've done the exact same thing, my servers are now CentOS, my
desktop is still Fedora.

I don't want to disrespect the Fedora community for all the work they do
because it is on the edge of the technology and it is very helpful to
all the projects the comprise Fedora to have so many people using the
software and providing feedback. Plus, how is open source software ever
going to become quality without lots of people testing/using/improving.

Unfortunately, everything that is beneficial about Fedora comes with the
price of 'not quite as well tested' status as RedHat or CentOS.

Honestly I feel like a backstabber by using CentOS because I've been
with Fedora since before Fedora (RedHat 5.1 was my first Linux
experience), and using CentOS is reaping the benefits with no contribution.

Is there a way for Fedora to deal with more of the bugs before releasing
and still remain a free distribution? I don't know how. If they do
manage to do this, what would be the point of paying for RedHat?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Tim Alberts <talberts@msiscales.com> wrote:
> Honestly I feel like a backstabber by using CentOS because I've been
> with Fedora since before Fedora (RedHat 5.1 was my first Linux
> experience), and using CentOS is reaping the benefits with no contribution.

You realize that technically speaking Redhat|Centos are infact Fedora,
albeit mature versions of it.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Tim Alberts