Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Frank Murphy

Default Fedora 16+ uid numbers

I hope to change all of my realvirt stuff boxes
rather than reinstall all from F16 on.

I have F14,15,16,Rawhide.

I have a proprietry linux NAS (Storcenter ix-200)
with lots of folders for different users.

and I will backup /etc /home
on the boxes first.
How do I upgrade the uid numbers.

eg: Newly installed user Adam
(any relation to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental)

How do I get the files from the NAS, Backups to match the new UIDs.
Same for GID if necessary.

Had a quick Google:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/changing-user-ids-uid-64078/

but don't wan't to trip up.