Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM
linux guy

Default Having a large desktop. (Font, icon and application sizes)

I use my Dell Duo, running F16, as a car PC, where I want the fonts
icons and running applications to be LARGE so that I can see and
control them from a distance.

In KDE, how do I adjust the size of the desktop so that this happens ?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 AM
linux guy

No replies to this ? Am I asking the question wrong ? All I want is
everything on the desktop to be larger.

????

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Rex Dieter

linux guy wrote:

> I use my Dell Duo, running F16, as a car PC, where I want the fonts
> icons and running applications to be LARGE so that I can see and
> control them from a distance.
>
> In KDE, how do I adjust the size of the desktop so that this happens ?

krandrtray, you can adjust resolution (ie, smaller resolution will make
things look bigger generally).

there's also font size, dpi:
sysstemsettings->application appearance->fonts

icon sizes:
systemsettings->application appearance->icons->advanced(tab)

-- rex

Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 21 November 2011 20:43:07 linux guy wrote:
> No replies to this ? Am I asking the question wrong ? All I want is
> everything on the desktop to be larger.

Decrease monitor resolution?

The xrandr will tell you what resolutions are supported by your monitor. You
can make a custom xorg.conf specifying the preffered resolution, and/or use
xrandr to change the resolution on-the-fly.

Decreasing the resolution means that literally *everything* on the screen will
become larger. Otherwise, you should specify what exactly you want to be
larger, and what should keep its original size. That approach would probably
require manually tweaking the sizes of various stuff --- fonts, icons, panels,
widgets, etc. Each of those can be configured either inside its own settings
menu, or using the plasma control handles, or in systemsettings.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 11-22-2011, 05:56 AM

Marko Vojinovic wrote
> On Monday 21 November 2011 20:43:07 linux guy wrote:
> > No replies to this ? Am I asking the question wrong ? All I want is
> > everything on the desktop to be larger.
>
> Decrease monitor resolution?
>
> The xrandr will tell you what resolutions are supported by your monitor. You
> can make a custom xorg.conf specifying the preffered resolution, and/or use
> xrandr to change the resolution on-the-fly.
>
> Decreasing the resolution means that literally *everything* on the screen will
> become larger. Otherwise, you should specify what exactly you want to be
> larger, and what should keep its original size. That approach would probably
> require manually tweaking the sizes of various stuff --- fonts, icons, panels,
> widgets, etc. Each of those can be configured either inside its own settings
> menu, or using the plasma control handles, or in systemsettings.

If the OP is using an flat panel display (FPD), then changing the
declared monitor resolution may not be the best way. Normally with an
FPD, you want to set the declared resolution to be the native resolution
of the flat panel. Otherwise the video card must scale. Scaling can
introduce artifacts on sharp edges like text fonts and make them look
mushy.

Instead you can might try the "DPI" option in xorg.conf. I have (in
the "Device" Section)

Option "DPI" "100x100"

for my 1920x1200 laptop display. This made all the fonts SMALLER than
they were before putting in that option. (I like small fonts.) Play
around with this to see if affects things. Note that I'm using the

Note that I'm using the binary nvidia driver. Not sure if this option
is valid for nouveau.

Dean

Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Ed Greshko

On 11/22/2011 01:00 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 21 November 2011 20:43:07 linux guy wrote:
>> No replies to this ? Am I asking the question wrong ? All I want is
>> everything on the desktop to be larger.
> Decrease monitor resolution?
>
> The xrandr will tell you what resolutions are supported by your monitor. You
> can make a custom xorg.conf specifying the preffered resolution, and/or use
> xrandr to change the resolution on-the-fly.
>
> Decreasing the resolution means that literally *everything* on the screen will
> become larger. Otherwise, you should specify what exactly you want to be
> larger, and what should keep its original size. That approach would probably
> require manually tweaking the sizes of various stuff --- fonts, icons, panels,
> widgets, etc. Each of those can be configured either inside its own settings
> menu, or using the plasma control handles, or in systemsettings.

In my limited experience, decreasing monitor resolution isn't a very
pleasing solution with LCD panels. I'll admit, all of my LCD panels are
over 2 years old....but when I drive them at anything lower than their
"native" resolution the results were decidedly sub-optimal.

$.02

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 22 November 2011 14:57:19 Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 01:00 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Monday 21 November 2011 20:43:07 linux guy wrote:
> >> No replies to this ? Am I asking the question wrong ? All I want is
> >> everything on the desktop to be larger.
> >
> > Decrease monitor resolution?
>
> In my limited experience, decreasing monitor resolution isn't a very
> pleasing solution with LCD panels. I'll admit, all of my LCD panels are
> over 2 years old....but when I drive them at anything lower than their
> "native" resolution the results were decidedly sub-optimal.

Sorry, I failed to quote the OP's original question --- he wants to use his
laptop as a car PC, and needs to have everything on the screen large since he
is looking at the monitor from a distance.

I agree that in general LCD's are best used in their native resolution. But it
the car environment the results could be good enough. The OP should probably
evaluate that on the spot.

I do not know of any other (reasonably easy) way to scale *everything* on the
screen. Tweaking font&icon sizes in KDE works for KDE apps, but in general
doesn't work for non-KDE stuff. It would probably take a fair amount of time to
reconfigure all possible apps to be proportionally larger. Even then, one
cannot be sure about the toolbar buttons, sliders and similar stuff. IMHO, it's
not worth the effort for the OP's usecase, but it's his call in the end.

Best, :-)
Marko