Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Reinhard Sy

Default Switch 32 bit to 64 bit how to do

Hello,

I would like to switch my server from 32bit to 64bit (8GB of RAM) . What
is the best method to do that ?
Can I upgrade my running FC14 from 32 to 64 and and then I will
preupgrade to FC16.

Or should I install a fresh FC16 64 bit.

I have found and old document about crossupgrade:

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-list/2009-04/msg01601.html

does this work ? Has anybody here on the list done this task in the near
past ?

Thanks for any hint

Reinhard

Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Maciek Borzecki

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Reinhard Sy
<sterntaler.10@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to switch my server from 32bit to 64bit (8GB of RAM) . What
> is the best method to do that ?
> Can I upgrade my running FC14 from 32 to *64 and and then I will
> preupgrade to FC16.
>
> Or should I install a fresh FC16 64 bit.
>
> I have found and old document about crossupgrade:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-list/2009-04/msg01601.html
>
> does this work ? Has anybody here on the list done this task in the near
> past ?

If you value your time and have a /home on a separate partition,
install F16 from scratch. Really, I've never managed to do a hassle
free upgrade, and it's not worth the time. Grab an iso, dd to usb
drive, boot, 15 minutes later, you're running a brand new system.
You may want to dump a list of installed packages before reinstalling,
rpm -qa | sort > packages.log, then do a diff with the new system and
install ones which are missing.

maciek

Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Reinhard Sy

Am Montag, den 21.11.2011, 09:50 +0100 schrieb Maciek Borzecki:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Reinhard Sy
> <sterntaler.10@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to switch my server from 32bit to 64bit (8GB of RAM) . What
> > is the best method to do that ?
> > Can I upgrade my running FC14 from 32 to 64 and and then I will
> > preupgrade to FC16.
> >
> > Or should I install a fresh FC16 64 bit.
> >
> > I have found and old document about crossupgrade:
> >
> > http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-list/2009-04/msg01601.html
> >
> > does this work ? Has anybody here on the list done this task in the near
> > past ?
>
> If you value your time and have a /home on a separate partition,
> install F16 from scratch. Really, I've never managed to do a hassle
> free upgrade, and it's not worth the time. Grab an iso, dd to usb
> drive, boot, 15 minutes later, you're running a brand new system.
> You may want to dump a list of installed packages before reinstalling,
> rpm -qa | sort > packages.log, then do a diff with the new system and
> install ones which are missing.
>
> maciek

Hi,

thanks this sounds like I like it to do.

Reinhard

Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Roberto Ragusa

On 11/21/2011 09:57 AM, Reinhard Sy wrote:
> Am Montag, den 21.11.2011, 09:50 +0100 schrieb Maciek Borzecki:

>> If you value your time and have a /home on a separate partition,
>> install F16 from scratch. Really, I've never managed to do a hassle
>> free upgrade, and it's not worth the time. Grab an iso, dd to usb
>> drive, boot, 15 minutes later, you're running a brand new system.
>> You may want to dump a list of installed packages before reinstalling,
>> rpm -qa | sort > packages.log, then do a diff with the new system and
>> install ones which are missing.
>>
>> maciek
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks this sounds like I like it to do.

Keep your old /etc directory around, so after the new installation
you can run a tool like meld (meld /etc /OLDetc) and reapply any
customization you had in your configs.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it