Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 PM
John Aldrich

Default SELINUX is kicking my butt!

I just installed a new boot drive and installed F16. Since I
absolutely HATE SELINUX, I've gone into the config file and set
selinux to "disabled." Now when I attempt to boot, I get an error that
it can't find the policy file and it hangs the system and won't let it
go any further. How do I fix this???? Do I just copy the policy file
from another location or what???

Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 21.11.2011 00:33, schrieb John Aldrich:
> I just installed a new boot drive and installed F16. Since I
> absolutely HATE SELINUX, I've gone into the config file and set
> selinux to "disabled." Now when I attempt to boot, I get an error that
> it can't find the policy file and it hangs the system and won't let it
> go any further. How do I fix this???? Do I just copy the policy file
> from another location or what???

normally i disable SELinux with "selinux=0" as kernel-boot-param
you can edit the kernel-line in GRUB menu directly before the
system get started

Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Thomas Cameron

On 11/20/2011 05:33 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
> I just installed a new boot drive and installed F16. Since I
> absolutely HATE SELINUX, I've gone into the config file and set
> selinux to "disabled." Now when I attempt to boot, I get an error that
> it can't find the policy file and it hangs the system and won't let it
> go any further. How do I fix this???? Do I just copy the policy file
> from another location or what???

1) Don't disable SELinux. That's silly. Go look at
http://people.redhat.com/tcameron and read the "SELinux for Mere
Mortals" presentation. Ask questions here.

2) If SELinux is really disabled, your boot problem almost certainly
isn't SELinux related.

3) How did you disable SELinux? By that I mean, exactly what file did
you edit and how did you edit it? Did you use perl or sed or the like
against /etc/sysconfig/selinux? Or did you directly edit
/etc/selinux/config?

Thomas

Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 AM
John Aldrich

Quoting Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net>:

> normally i disable SELinux with "selinux=0" as kernel-boot-param
> you can edit the kernel-line in GRUB menu directly before the
> system get started

I can't get that to work for me. I've since gone in and edited the
config file BACK to "targeted" as well as editing the file so that the
TOP "selinux=" command is set to disabled and THAT FUBARed the system
as well.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Fedora User

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:33:57 -0500
John Aldrich <jmaldrich@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just installed a new boot drive and installed F16. Since I
> absolutely HATE SELINUX, I've gone into the config file and set
> selinux to "disabled." Now when I attempt to boot, I get an error
> that it can't find the policy file and it hangs the system and won't
> let it go any further. How do I fix this???? Do I just copy the
> policy file from another location or what???

You changed the wrong line. I suspect that you changed SELINUXTYPE
rather than the line about 4 lines above it that is just SELINUX.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Frank Murphy

On 21/11/11 00:00, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> 2) If SELinux is really disabled, your boot problem almost certainly
> isn't SELinux related.
>
> 3) How did you disable SELinux? By that I mean, exactly what file did
> you edit and how did you edit it? Did you use perl or sed or the like
> against /etc/sysconfig/selinux? Or did you directly edit
> /etc/selinux/config?
>
> Thomas

I would say using the policycoreutils-GUI

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/21/2011 05:03 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> I just installed a new boot drive and installed F16. Since I
> absolutely HATE SELINUX, I've gone into the config file and set
> selinux to "disabled." Now when I attempt to boot, I get an error that
> it can't find the policy file and it hangs the system and won't let it
> go any further. How do I fix this???? Do I just copy the policy file
> from another location or what???

100% sure you edited the wrong line here.

Rahul

Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM
John Aldrich

Quoting Fedora User <fedoradch@gmail.com>:

> You changed the wrong line. I suspect that you changed SELINUXTYPE
> rather than the line about 4 lines above it that is just SELINUX.

Tried that too. Didn't work.

One thing I probably should have mentioned that MIGHT make a
difference is that when I was reinstalling, I did not set up the old
"home" partition, rather I just went in after the fact and edited
/etc/fstab to point to the old "home" partition for "/home" and
changed permissions.
I'm getting ready to scrap that install and start over with a fresh
install, getting rid of all my old PATA drives at the same time.
Hopefully this time when I specify that I want that partition as my
"/home" directory, it will adjust permissions accordingly and I can
safely disable SELINUX.

I will post back with the results once I get done re-reinstalling.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
John Aldrich

Quoting Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com>:

> On 21/11/11 00:00, Thomas Cameron wrote:
>

>> 2) If SELinux is really disabled, your boot problem almost certainly
>> isn't SELinux related.
>>
>> 3) How did you disable SELinux? By that I mean, exactly what file did
>> you edit and how did you edit it? Did you use perl or sed or the like
>> against /etc/sysconfig/selinux? Or did you directly edit
>> /etc/selinux/config?
>>
>> Thomas
>
> I would say using the policycoreutils-GUI

I manually edited /etc/selinux/config. I tried editing (separately)
both lines that say "selinux=" but both coincidentally FUBARed. You
could be correct about it being a coincidence. I'm moving my /home
partition to a new drive and getting rid of the PATA drive that it was
on. Once that is done, I will no longer have any PATA drives in the
system and will reinstall again. Hopefully once I tell the installer
to use the old /home partition as /home again, it will adjust
permissions, etc.