Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 PM
"Linda McLeod"

Default Bullies get into FireFox, and make a mess in F-14, way too easily, forcing me to DBAN the hd & reinstall...

The bullies who have been targeting my PC with computer problems have
got into FireFox yet again, changing things..

Top too-bar is inoperative..

Fastmail logins are non-functional..

Spellcheck is non-functional..

And sometimes the bullies make the Google search-page be in German,
Dutch, or French...
Thus it would seem that FireFox is Fedora's weakest security, given that
the monsters get into OS's via browsers...
Is FireFox addressing these issues any time soon..?
Any ideas when FireFox might be secure enough to prevent such
blacky/hacky/cracky/bully activities..?
Is there a way to reasonably secure FireFox from such skilled attacks..?

I'm supposing I need to reboot into an older option to shake the bugs..?

love email again

Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 20.11.2011 23:11, schrieb Linda McLeod:
> The bullies who have been targeting my PC with computer problems have
> got into FireFox yet again, changing things..
>
> Top too-bar is inoperative..
> Fastmail logins are non-functional..
> Spellcheck is non-functional..

sounds like a problem in your profile

> And sometimes the bullies make the Google search-page be in German,
> Dutch, or French...
> Thus it would seem that FireFox is Fedora's weakest security, given that
> the monsters get into OS's via browsers...
> Is FireFox addressing these issues any time soon..?
> Any ideas when FireFox might be secure enough to prevent such
> blacky/hacky/cracky/bully activities..?
> Is there a way to reasonably secure FireFox from such skilled attacks..?
>
> I'm supposing I need to reboot into an older option to shake the bugs..?

what are you speaking about?
this all sounds like FUD without any useful information

Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/20/2011 02:11 PM, Linda McLeod wrote:
> The bullies who have been targeting my PC with computer problems have
> got into FireFox yet again, changing things..

I too run FireFox on Fedora 14. I've done nothing exceptional to harden
my system, but I've also done nothing, such as turn off SELinux to
weaken the built in security. I've not had the slightest problem of the
type you describe with FireFox on either my desktop or my laptop. Why
do you think people are targeting you, specifically, and that it's not a
local issue with your installation?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Rick Sewill

On Sunday, November 20, 2011 04:11:32 PM Linda McLeod wrote:
> The bullies who have been targeting my PC with computer problems have
> got into FireFox yet again, changing things..

Questions please.

Are you running Firefox as root or as a normal user?

Have you disabled SeLinux?

Do your accounts, both root and your normal account,
have strong passwords? Could the bullies know your passwords?

Do these bullies have physical access to your PC?
If the bullies physical access, the only way I can think to protect stuff,
is to encrypt everything. I would prefer others describe how to do this.
I've never encrypted my hard disk.

If these bullies do not have physical access,
are they coming in through the Internet?
If yes, this leads to a bunch of questions.

Do you have a firewall device or NAT router or something offering you
some protection between your PC and the Internet?
Have you made changes to your PC's firewall?

How are the bullies coming in if they are coming in over the Internet?
It's possible, if the bullies are not smart, you could look at log messages.
Someone who's done this before, would she look in /var/log/secure?

If a bully were coming in to my PC, over the Internet,
I would first suspect they were using ssh.

I dislike the default ssh server configuration on Fedora.
I believe the default is to allow incoming ssh connections,
to normal user accounts, using password authentication.
The default iptables configuration for ssh is allow connections from anywhere.
The first things I do on a new system is disable password authentication,
only allow certain users ssh access,
and restrict incoming ssh connections to a trusted subset of my local LAN.
I wish the default Fedora configuration, at the very least,
limited ssh connections to the local LAN.
I wish the ssh server had an option to test passwords for strength,
and reject incoming connections to accounts with weak passwords.

Other ways they could come in over the Internet include things like VPN
or VNC. If you don't know what VPN or VNC is, you haven't enabled it.
If you are running a VNC server, are those passwords strong and secure?

Have you installed any software or plugins that are letting the bullies in?
Were you asked for the root password, by some program, unexpectedly?

If I believe a bully has gotten into my system and compromised it,
I would strongly recommend reloading my system from a backup I trust.
This backup needs to be one I believe was before the bullies first got in.
Otherwise, there are Linux rootkits designed to hide how bullies got in,
what they are doing, and prevent you from keeping them out.

To be perfectly honest, and not knowing any facts,
I would first suspect you have a weak password they brute force guessed,
and they are coming in through ssh. Unfortunately, once in, they could
cause havoc in your user account, and if they got into your root account,
there is no telling how much harm they did.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Ed Greshko

On 11/21/2011 06:22 PM, Tim wrote:
> Same here, even on out-of-date releases.
> I'm beginning to suspect KarlBot 3.0.

It can't be. My understanding is that KarlBot 3.0 only infects Ubuntu
installations.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Frank Murphy

On 21/11/11 10:32, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 06:22 PM, Tim wrote:
>> Same here, even on out-of-date releases.
>> I'm beginning to suspect KarlBot 3.0.
>
> It can't be. My understanding is that KarlBot 3.0 only infects Ubuntu
> installations.

Just check Linda's previous posts to the list.
Then think of 3 goats and a bridge.
killfiled long ago.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded