Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM
"Paul Johnson"

Default flash crash in firefox on youtube

On my 2 Fedora 8 systems, I have this problem today for the first
time. In Firefox, while browsing youtube, my system will crash when
opening flv files. Generally, I can view one show, and then when I
click another one, the whole browser disappears. It does not lock up
at all, it just dies. It does not affect any other programs.

I have not gone to youtube for a few weeks, and so I can't say if this
problem is actually new, or if I just happened up on it.

Would you please browse to youtube and try to watch a few and see if
you get the same outcome? If you don't, it will mean I've made the
exact same configuration mistake on both of my systems. I've moved
~/.mozilla and ~/.macromedia out of the way, same result.

Here are the version numbers:

$ rpm -qa | grep flash
libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904
flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release

$ rpm -qa | grep firefox
firefox-devel-2.0.0.12-1.fc8
firefox-2.0.0.12-1.fc8

$ uname -r
2.6.24.3-34.fc8

Another thing in common is the Nvidia proprietary driver from livna.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Patrick

Paul Johnson wrote:

On my 2 Fedora 8 systems, I have this problem today for the first
time. In Firefox, while browsing youtube, my system will crash when
opening flv files. Generally, I can view one show, and then when I
click another one, the whole browser disappears. It does not lock up
at all, it just dies. It does not affect any other programs.

I have not gone to youtube for a few weeks, and so I can't say if this
problem is actually new, or if I just happened up on it.

Would you please browse to youtube and try to watch a few and see if
you get the same outcome?

I see the same crash consistently on my laptop running F8 i386 with
firefox-2.0.0.12-1.fc8.i386
flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release.i386
libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904.i386

Don't know if it is related but I saw similar random crashes with
mplayer. Googling around I read that those crashes were caused by a race
in pulseaudio in alsa. Once I added the patch to mplayer and rebuilt it,
it no longer crashes. Perhaps the crashing with flv files is also caused
by a pulseaudio bug in alsa.

Regards,
Patrick

Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Patrick <fedora-list@puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On my 2 Fedora 8 systems, I have this problem today for the first
> > time. In Firefox, while browsing youtube, my system will crash when
> > opening flv files. Generally, I can view one show, and then when I
> > click another one, the whole browser disappears. It does not lock up
> > at all, it just dies. It does not affect any other programs.
>
> I see the same crash consistently on my laptop running F8 i386 with
> firefox-2.0.0.12-1.fc8.i386
> flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release.i386
> libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904.i386
>
> Don't know if it is related but I saw similar random crashes with
> mplayer. Googling around I read that those crashes were caused by a race
> in pulseaudio in alsa. Once I added the patch to mplayer and rebuilt it,
> it no longer crashes. Perhaps the crashing with flv files is also caused
> by a pulseaudio bug in alsa.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

In this thread,

It is suggested that this cures the flash-crashes-firefox problem.

# mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
# ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/libflashplayer.so

I did it. No more crashes.

Can somebody explain to me what it means? What is "plugins-wrapped"
and why does linking the libflashplayer.so in there, instead of just
in "plugins", make a difference?

pj

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Patrick

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 00:16 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
[snip]
> In this thread,
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171369
>
> It is suggested that this cures the flash-crashes-firefox problem.
>
> # mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
> # ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/libflashplayer.so

Thanks for the link Paul. Would be great if this worked.

One question: am I supposed to remove the symlink to libflashplayer.so
in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or can I just leave it there?

Thanks and regards,
Patrick