Old 11-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Deron Meranda

Default System locked up during update of kernel, yum in unclean state and kernel half-installed

Some more information,

I did a "rpm --verify kernel-3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64". All of the files
seem to be okay and they all have the verify flags of "5S.......",
nothing else.

As far as grub, the 3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64 revision of the kernel is
listed in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. However I'm still running with the -1
revision.

I did notice when grub was booting that it said it was grub version
1.99 - is that normal?

My /boot has this; notice there's no -2 version of the initramfs, and
the other -2 files are zero-length.

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 118511 Nov 1 17:31 config-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 118667 Nov 11 17:04 config-3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 0 Nov 14 11:06 config-3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Sep 20 2010 efi/
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Nov 16 01:09 grub/
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Nov 19 16:29 grub2/
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 16960674 Nov 15 18:04 initramfs-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64.img
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 16956105 Nov 16 01:09 initramfs-3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64.img
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 590747 Nov 15 17:10 initrd-plymouth.img
drwx------. 2 root root 16384 Sep 20 2010 lost+found/
-rw-------. 1 root root 2458775 Nov 1 17:31 System.map-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
-rw-------. 1 root root 2459567 Nov 11 17:04 System.map-3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64
-rw-------. 1 root root 0 Nov 14 11:06 System.map-3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 4125616 Nov 1 17:31 vmlinuz-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64*
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 4129680 Nov 11 17:04 vmlinuz-3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64*
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 0 Nov 14 11:06 vmlinuz-3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64*

There are no files under any lost+found directories.
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are my next steps? *If it was just a normal application package,
> I'd force a yum re-install. But since this happened during a kernel
> update, I don't want to risk messing my system up further.

I'm surprised YUM didn't tell you to run "yum-complete-transaction".
I'd try running that first to see if that can clear up your errors.

If not, "package-cleanup --dupes" [again :-( ] and then you can
reinstall the kernel. Luckily, Fedora keeps several kernels around
just in case, and you happen to know at least one is working order.
;-) If something goes awry with the newer kernel, just pick the
working one from the GRUB menu.

-T.C.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some more information,
>
> I did a "rpm --verify kernel-3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64". *All of the files
> seem to be okay and they all have the verify flags of "5S.......",
> nothing else.
>
> As far as grub, the 3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64 revision of the kernel is
> listed in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. However I'm still running with the -1
> revision.
>
> I did notice when grub was booting that it said it was grub version
> 1.99 - is that normal?

Yes. GRUB2 is actually GRUB 1.99. GRUB1 was really GRUB <= 0.97.

> My /boot has this; notice there's no -2 version of the initramfs, and
> the other -2 files are zero-length.

Very strange that rpm -V didn't go nuts about that. You definitely
need to reinstall the kernel package though.

-T.C.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:39:48 -0700
T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> I'm surprised YUM didn't tell you to run "yum-complete-transaction".
> I'd try running that first to see if that can clear up your errors.

As near as I can tell, yum only prints the message about running
"yu-complete-transaction" when you've actually tried to update new things,
screwed up the current transaction, and made it impossible for
yum-complete-transaction to work anymore :-(.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:03 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:39:48 -0700
> T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised YUM didn't tell you to run "yum-complete-transaction".
>> I'd try running that first to see if that can clear up your errors.
>
> As near as I can tell, yum only prints the message about running
> "yu-complete-transaction" when you've actually tried to update new things,
> screwed up the current transaction, and made it impossible for
> yum-complete-transaction to work anymore :-(.

At least it hasn't tried to completely uninstall every RPM on your
system, as it wants to do on one my machines!

I quickly cancelled that and repaired the damage manually, but now YUM
annoys me about running "yum-complete-transaction" every time I use
it. Google indicates that there used to be a "package-cleanup"
argument to shut it up, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. :-(

-T.C.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 16:03 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:39:48 -0700
> > T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> >
> >> I'm surprised YUM didn't tell you to run "yum-complete-transaction".
> >> I'd try running that first to see if that can clear up your errors.
> >
> > As near as I can tell, yum only prints the message about running
> > "yu-complete-transaction" when you've actually tried to update new things,
> > screwed up the current transaction, and made it impossible for
> > yum-complete-transaction to work anymore :-(.
>
> At least it hasn't tried to completely uninstall every RPM on your
> system, as it wants to do on one my machines!
>
> I quickly cancelled that and repaired the damage manually, but now YUM
> annoys me about running "yum-complete-transaction" every time I use
> it. Google indicates that there used to be a "package-cleanup"
> argument to shut it up, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. :-(
----
perhaps not - here is F14

$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/package-cleanup
yum-utils-1.1.28-1.fc14.noarch

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Kevin Fenzi

If you've not done any more yum commands that change things
(installs/upgrades/removals), do:

yum history redo last

kevin

Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Greg Woods

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 16:07 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> >Google indicates that there used to be a "package-cleanup"
> > argument to shut it up, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. :-(

> $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/package-cleanup
> yum-utils-1.1.28-1.fc14.noarch

Correct. package-cleanup is not a yum argument, it is a separate command
that is part of the yum-utils package.

--Greg

Old 11-19-2011, 10:24 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 16:03 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > As near as I can tell, yum only prints the message about running
>> > "yu-complete-transaction" when you've actually tried to update new things,
>> > screwed up the current transaction, and made it impossible for
>> > yum-complete-transaction to work anymore :-(.
>>
>> At least it hasn't tried to completely uninstall every RPM on your
>> system, as it wants to do on one my machines!
>>
>> I quickly cancelled that and repaired the damage manually, but now YUM
>> annoys me about running "yum-complete-transaction" every time I use
>> it. *Google indicates that there used to be a "package-cleanup"
>> argument to shut it up, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. *:-(
> ----
> perhaps not - here is F14
>
> $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/package-cleanup
> yum-utils-1.1.28-1.fc14.noarch

Of course package-cleanup still exists; I meant the argument I was
expecting was missing.

That being said, I'm an idiot and completely misread the forum thread,
now that I look at it again. The command I was looking for is
"yum-complete-transaction --cleanup-only" and has nothing to do with
"package-cleanup". :-s

-T.C.