Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Help keep logfile clean :-).

I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of the endless
drivel systemd related stuff keeps spewing to my log file,
and I think I finally got most of it:

I made the file /etc/rsyslog.d/systemd-drivel.conf
which contains these lines:

rogramname, isequal, "systemd-logind" ~
:msg, contains, "Activating via systemd" ~
:msg, contains, "Activation via systemd failed" ~
:msg, contains, "org.freedesktop.systemd" ~

After getting rsyslogd restarted, that make it discard
all the junk that tended to make up 90% of my
/var/log/messages file.

That should help keep my SSD drive from running out of
space, and make it possible to see messages that might
actually be important in the log.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Deron Meranda

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of the endless
> drivel systemd related stuff keeps spewing to my log file,
> and I think I finally got most of it:
>
> I made the file /etc/rsyslog.d/systemd-drivel.conf
> which contains these lines:

That's useful, thanks.

You may also want to add a new corresponding entry in your
/etc/logrotate.d/ directory too.

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/19/2011 10:41 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> :msg, contains, "Activation via systemd failed" ~

You don't want to have a record of what failed?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:18:04 -0800
Joe Zeff wrote:

> You don't want to have a record of what failed?

No, the only things that are ever reported as failing
are things I've disabled anyway. Now if it could somehow
manage to only report failures of things that aren't disabled,
it might be useful information.

Though upon further review, I have discovered that maybe
what I want is "mask", not "disable". The "mask" command
to systemctl seems to be as close as you can get to
uninstalling something without actually doing the "yum erase".

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:18:04 -0800
> Joe Zeff wrote:
>
>> You don't want to have a record of what failed?
>
> No, the only things that are ever reported as failing
> are things I've disabled anyway. Now if it could somehow
> manage to only report failures of things that aren't disabled,
> it might be useful information.
>
> Though upon further review, I have discovered that maybe
> what I want is "mask", not "disable". The "mask" command
> to systemctl seems to be as close as you can get to
> uninstalling something without actually doing the "yum erase".

I think you'll still get those annoying messages even if you mask the
services. The only way to shut it up completely is to disable bus
activation for the service, which should only involve some rm'ing in
/etc/dbus-1/ but may actually require witchcraft and/or wizardry.

Incidentally, those messages actually originate from DBus, not
systemd. systemd is correctly refusing to start the services you have
disabled but unfortunately that causes DBus to whine and blame systemd
for not doing what it tells it to do. (It's blissfully unaware that
systemd is in fact, doing exactly what *you* told it to do.)

-T.C.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Deron Meranda

Yes, most of my Fedora 16 syslog "noise" is also coming from dbus. So
I added rsyslog rules:

rogramname, isequal, "dbus" /var/log/dbus.log
& ~
rogramname, isequal, "dbus-daemon" /var/log/dbus.log
& ~

which puts them into a different log file. If you're running on a
smallish solid-state disk though I can see why you might just want to
drop the messages rather than save them.

I also am getting a lot of logfile noise from the gnome login screen.
It looks like for some reason the login screen is running in debug
mode. Why? My normal user gnome sessions don't do that - only the
login screen.

Nov 19 16:42:34 beryl systemd-logind[1320]: New session 1 of user gdm.
Nov 19 16:42:34 beryl systemd-logind[1320]: Linked /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
to /run/user/gdm/X11/display.
Nov 19 16:42:34 beryl gnome-session[2444]: DEBUG(+): Enabling debugging
Nov 19 16:42:34 beryl gnome-session[2444]: DEBUG(+): GsmXsmpServer:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/2444,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2444#012
Nov 19 16:42:35 beryl gnome-session[2444]: DEBUG(+): GsmShell: Not
connected to the shell
Nov 19 16:42:35 beryl gnome-session[2444]: DEBUG(+): GsmManager:
setting client store 0x122bb20
....MANY MANY LINES....

--
Deron Meranda