Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Tom Holroyd

Default xubuntu

I just switched to Xubuntu 7.04 on my IBM Thinkpad G30 Laptop and it's
dropping keystrokes! I never had that problem with Fedora. I switched to
the lowlatency kernel and that helped but did not fix the problem. Is
this an atkbd issue, or is there perhaps some other beastie out there
turning interrupts off? More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
what is it in Fedora that does this right?

--
Dr. Tom Holroyd
"A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and

Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 11:00 -0400, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> I just switched to Xubuntu 7.04 on my IBM Thinkpad G30 Laptop and it's
> dropping keystrokes! I never had that problem with Fedora. I switched to
> the lowlatency kernel and that helped but did not fix the problem. Is
> this an atkbd issue, or is there perhaps some other beastie out there
> turning interrupts off? More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
> what is it in Fedora that does this right?
>
> --
> Dr. Tom Holroyd
> "A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and
> are the portals of discovery." -- James Joyce

Please don't hijack existing threads. Start a new topic.

poc

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 24/03/2008, Tom Holroyd <tomh@kurage.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:
> I just switched to Xubuntu 7.04 on my IBM Thinkpad G30 Laptop and it's
> dropping keystrokes! I never had that problem with Fedora. I switched to
> the lowlatency kernel and that helped but did not fix the problem. Is
> this an atkbd issue, or is there perhaps some other beastie out there
> turning interrupts off? More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
> what is it in Fedora that does this right?

I doubt anyone on this list will be able to pin point the exact
difference between Fedora and Xubuntu that is causing your problem -
it's rather a lot to ask given the scant information you've provided.
I'd think you'd get much more help detailing your problem with much
much more detail on an xubuntu mailing list.

Jonathan.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 21:30 -0400, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> I just switched to Xubuntu 7.04 on my IBM Thinkpad G40 Laptop and it's
> dropping keystrokes! I never had that problem with Fedora. I switched to
> the lowlatency kernel and that helped but did not fix the problem. Is
> this an atkbd issue, or is there perhaps some other beastie out there
> turning interrupts off? More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
> what is it in Fedora that does this right?

You might have more luck on a Ubuntu list. Asking "why does Fedora do
foo correctly" isn't the kind of question one is used to seeing. "Why
does Xubuntu do foo incorrectly" is more likely to provoke a response,
but of course this isn't the place to ask.

poc

Old 03-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:30:14 -0400
Tom Holroyd <tomh@kurage.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:

> More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
> what is it in Fedora that does this right?

A better question is probably what is it in xubuntu that's doing it wrong. And
your chance of finding someone who knows that answer would be greatly increased
on a xubuntu mailing list.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM
John Summerfield

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I just switched to Xubuntu 7.04 on my IBM Thinkpad G30 Laptop and it's
dropping keystrokes! I never had that problem with Fedora. I switched to
the lowlatency kernel and that helped but did not fix the problem. Is
this an atkbd issue, or is there perhaps some other beastie out there
turning interrupts off? More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
what is it in Fedora that does this right?

--
Dr. Tom Holroyd
"A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and
are the portals of discovery." -- James Joyce

Please don't hijack existing threads. Start a new topic.

Preferably on trhe right list

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 21:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 21:30 -0400, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> > I just switched to Xubuntu 7.04 on my IBM Thinkpad G40 Laptop and it's
> > dropping keystrokes! I never had that problem with Fedora. I switched to
> > the lowlatency kernel and that helped but did not fix the problem. Is
> > this an atkbd issue, or is there perhaps some other beastie out there
> > turning interrupts off? More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
> > what is it in Fedora that does this right?

A long time ago, I ran into this problem with a T41 and Fedora. The
problem turned out to occur only when I used a particular streaming
audio client.

Unfortunately, I don't recall what that software was, but the principle
is relevant. Are you running any "real-time" apps when the problem
occurs?

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Globe Trotter

--- Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/03/2008, Tom Holroyd <tomh@kurage.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:
> > I just switched to Xubuntu 7.04 on my IBM Thinkpad G30 Laptop and it's
> > dropping keystrokes! I never had that problem with Fedora. I switched to
> > the lowlatency kernel and that helped but did not fix the problem. Is
> > this an atkbd issue, or is there perhaps some other beastie out there
> > turning interrupts off? More to the point, since this is a Fedora list,
> > what is it in Fedora that does this right?
> >

> I doubt anyone on this list will be able to pin point the exact
> difference between Fedora and Xubuntu that is causing your problem -
> it's rather a lot to ask given the scant information you've provided.
> I'd think you'd get much more help detailing your problem with much
> much more detail on an xubuntu mailing list.
>
> Jonathan.

Just curious why the original poster wanted to switch. Fedora has a fabulous
support structure with very helpful and very knowledgeable folks on the m/l
(perhaps why the poster posted here) in addition to very high-quality latest
software, which is not true of *ubuntu. if the goal was to get xfce (sorely
lacking in fedora), i think rahul sundaram mentioned sometime ago that there
will be a xfce version also from F9 onwards.

trotter

Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
"Gunawan"

Dear All,
Can I use IE4Linux with xubuntu?
I haven't try it but look like IE4Linux is for gnome.
Regards,
Gun