Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Andre Robatino

Default mozilla-https-everywhere causes Firefox to freeze up regularly

I tried this addon a few weeks ago in F15, uninstalled it after experiencing
frequent Firefox freezeups, then tried again with F16. The same thing still
happens with mozilla-https-everywhere-1.1-1.fc16.noarch. There are currently no
bugs reported against it. Is anyone else seeing this?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Andre Robatino

Andre Robatino <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:

> I tried this addon a few weeks ago in F15, uninstalled it after experiencing
> frequent Firefox freezeups, then tried again with F16. The same thing still
> happens with mozilla-https-everywhere-1.1-1.fc16.noarch. There are currently no
> bugs reported against it. Is anyone else seeing this?

This time, even after uninstalling and restarting Firefox, I'm still seeing
freezeups. I hope it's not permanent.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Andre Robatino

Andre Robatino <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:

> This time, even after uninstalling and restarting Firefox, I'm still seeing
> freezeups. I hope it's not permanent.

The above should read "after uninstalling mozilla-https-everywhere and
restarting Firefox".

I noticed that even after doing this, under Tools/Add-ons/Extensions, HTTPS
Everywhere was listed. I clicked "Disable", and don't remember if I restarted
Firefox, but when I checked again, the extension was not listed anymore. The
browser seems stable again.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:37 AM

On 11/18/2011 10:49 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
<>

> I noticed that even after doing this, under Tools/Add-ons/Extensions, HTTPS
> Everywhere was listed. I clicked "Disable", and don't remember if I restarted
> Firefox, but when I checked again, the extension was not listed anymore. The
> browser seems stable again.

any time you uninstall, disable, or enable an add-on, mozilla firefox or
thunderbird should be restarted.

you should see a yellow bar at top advising you to do so.

when you do so, you remove/add add-on from/to program/memory area.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 11-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Andre Robatino

Andre Robatino <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:

> I noticed that even after doing this, under Tools/Add-ons/Extensions, HTTPS
> Everywhere was listed. I clicked "Disable", and don't remember if I restarted
> Firefox, but when I checked again, the extension was not listed anymore. The
> browser seems stable again.

After reinstalling mozilla-https-everywhere and restarting Firefox, it seems to
be working without freezing the browser anymore, so there was probably some crud
in ~/.mozilla that got cleaned out somehow by the above process.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:24 PM

On 11/19/2011 09:33 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:
<>

> After reinstalling mozilla-https-everywhere and restarting Firefox, it seems
> to be working without freezing the browser anymore, so there was probably
> some crud in ~/.mozilla that got cleaned out somehow by the above process.

as long as you restart firefox when you make a 'status' change to an
add-on. that is main thing.

on some occasions, firefox or extension will be stubborn and you will have
to start firefox in 'safe-mode', ie, from command line;

firefox -safe-mode

or

Help > Restart in safe-mode

then restart in normal mode to clear problems.

same applies to thunderbird.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,