Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   NIC interface names (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/600092-nic-interface-names.html)

Boris Epstein 11-18-2011 07:58 PM

NIC interface names
 
Hello listmates,
I recently installed Fedora 16 as a guest VM under VirtualBox and instead of the usual eth0/eth1 etc. names I got the following:
[root@ipa-test0 ~]# ifconfig

lo������� Link encap:Local Loopback��
��������� inet addr:127.0.0.1� Mask:255.0.0.0
��������� inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
��������� UP LOOPBACK RUNNING� MTU:16436� Metric:1
��������� RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

��������� TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
��������� collisions:0 txqueuelen:0�
��������� RX bytes:812 (812.0 b)� TX bytes:812 (812.0 b)

p2p1����� Link encap:Ethernet� HWaddr 08:00:27:1C:C1:37��

��������� inet addr:10.0.2.15� Bcast:10.0.2.255� Mask:255.255.255.0
��������� inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe1c:c137/64 Scope:Link
��������� UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST� MTU:1500� Metric:1
��������� RX packets:1653 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

��������� TX packets:890 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
��������� collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000�
��������� RX bytes:1488287 (1.4 MiB)� TX bytes:58177 (56.8 KiB)

p7p1����� Link encap:Ethernet� HWaddr 08:00:27:D2:29:56��

��������� inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fed2:2956/64 Scope:Link
��������� UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST� MTU:1500� Metric:1
��������� RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
��������� TX packets:43 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

��������� collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000�
��������� RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)� TX bytes:13122 (12.8 KiB)

[root@ipa-test0 ~]#

Any idea where these strange names come from and what the significance of them is?

Thanks.

Boris.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Michael Cronenworth 11-18-2011 08:19 PM

NIC interface names
 
Boris Epstein wrote:
> Any idea where these strange names come from and what the significance
> of them is?

It was a Fedora 15 Feature.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Boris Epstein 11-18-2011 08:26 PM

NIC interface names
 
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

Boris Epstein wrote:

> Any idea where these strange names come from and what the significance

> of them is?



It was a Fedora 15 Feature.



http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

--

Michael, thanks. Actually I like this feature.
However, the question is: I've got another Fedora 16 / 32 bit machine installed under VirtualBox, and it has your regular eth0. How could that be?

Boris.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Michael Cronenworth 11-18-2011 08:42 PM

NIC interface names
 
Boris Epstein wrote:
> However, the question is: I've got another Fedora 16 / 32 bit machine
> installed under VirtualBox, and it has your regular eth0. How could that be?

Is your VM originally F16 or was it upgraded from a previous Fedora?
Fedora saves the device name once you install Fedora so it will remain
the same name even with this new feature.

Look to see if you have this file:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Fedora saves your network card name in there. You can either remove it
to have it generate a new name or edit it to what you want.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Boris Epstein 11-18-2011 08:45 PM

NIC interface names
 
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

Boris Epstein wrote:

> However, the question is: I've got another Fedora 16 / 32 bit machine

> installed under VirtualBox, and it has your regular eth0. How could that be?



Is your VM originally F16 or was it upgraded from a previous Fedora?

Fedora saves the device name once you install Fedora so it will remain

the same name even with this new feature.



Look to see if you have this file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules



Fedora saves your network card name in there. You can either remove it

to have it generate a new name or edit it to what you want.

--

Both are original installations.*
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Michael Cronenworth 11-18-2011 09:29 PM

NIC interface names
 
Boris Epstein wrote:
> Both are original installations.

I think it depends on the network card that you're exposing to the VM or
are the VMs using the same network adapter type? (The "fake" adapter
model.) Otherwise, I really wouldn't know why.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.