FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Fedora User
 
Default SystemD Resolved

After all my kvetching, it turns out that systemd is really pretty easy
to administer. SOME techs have a tendency to write documentation that
is rather esoteric. I think that I likened the 49 man pages for systemd
to Talmudic study.

This could use a graphical application to create the necessary links. I
was lost because of being accustomed to SysV for more than a decade. My
concern is that a new user migrating from windows would be equally
lost. This could also use a SIMPLE guide for end users who would
ordinarily manage just the multi-user and graphical target.wants.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default SystemD Resolved

On 11/18/2011 10:36 AM, Fedora User wrote:
> I think that I likened the 49 man pages for systemd
> to Talmudic study.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I haven't examined those pages, yet,
because I haven't moved from F 14 to F 16, yet. (I'll probably do my
laptop on Sunday, followed by the desktop if all goes well.) However,
my suspicion is that they suffer mostly from being written by people who
know the software inside and out and not getting edited by outsiders for
clarity. To study Talmud, you really need to know how to split hairs
with a microtome.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default SystemD Resolved

On 11/19/2011 12:06 AM, Fedora User wrote:

> This could use a graphical application to create the necessary links. I
> was lost because of being accustomed to SysV for more than a decade. My
> concern is that a new user migrating from windows would be equally
> lost. This could also use a SIMPLE guide for end users who would
> ordinarily manage just the multi-user and graphical target.wants.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd covers only the basics and should
help you as well. Man pages are not guides. They are reference material.

Rahul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Deron Meranda
 
Default SystemD Resolved

> is rather esoteric. I think that I likened the 49 man pages for systemd
> to Talmudic study.

Yes, the man pages are pretty dense to just jump into.


There are other easier documentation though:

The Fedora online manual:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd

The SysV to Systemd cheat sheet:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet

And there's lots of documentation, FAQs and such on the systemd project page:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default SystemD Resolved

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:42:52 -0500
Deron Meranda wrote:

> Yes, the man pages are pretty dense to just jump into.

So, speaking of systemd, is there any way to ask the question:

"Why the heck is this service running?"

If I look at my system, I see the pcscd (smartcard) service
running.

It isn't "wanted" in the symlinks. If I grep the systemd
units, I don't find any other service that references it,
yet, there it is running when I look at all the processes.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Deron Meranda
 
Default SystemD Resolved

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:42:52 -0500
> So, speaking of systemd, is there any way to ask the question:
>
> "Why the heck is this service running?"
>
> If I look at my system, I see the pcscd (smartcard) service
> running.
>
> It isn't "wanted" in the symlinks. If I grep the systemd
> units, I don't find any other service that references it,
> yet, there it is running when I look at all the processes.

systemctl status pcscd.service

grep pcscd /lib/systemd/system/*.service


Does that work, or are you asking something more?
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default SystemD Resolved

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:02:11 -0500
Deron Meranda wrote:

> systemctl status pcscd.service
>
> grep pcscd /lib/systemd/system/*.service
>
>
> Does that work, or are you asking something more?

[root@zooty ~]# systemctl status pcscd.service
pcscd.service - PC/SC Smart Card Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service; disabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri, 18 Nov 2011 04:02:03 -0500; 11h ago
Main PID: 9613 (pcscd)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/pcscd.service
â 9613 /usr/sbin/pcscd -f

That tells me it is running despite being disabled.

[root@zooty ~]# grep pcscd /lib/systemd/system/*.service
/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:Requires=pcscd.socket
/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pcscd -f
/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:ExecReload=/usr/sbin/pcscd -H
/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:Also=pcscd.socket

That tells me no other service asks for it to be started
(directly, anyway).

So, I'm still wondering why the heck it is running.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Deron Meranda
 
Default SystemD Resolved

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:02:11 -0500
> Deron Meranda wrote:
>
>> systemctl status pcscd.service
>>
>> grep pcscd /lib/systemd/system/*.service
>>
>>
>> Does that work, or are you asking something more?
>
> [root@zooty ~]# systemctl status pcscd.service
> pcscd.service - PC/SC Smart Card Daemon
> * * * * *Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service; disabled)
> * * * * *Active: active (running) since Fri, 18 Nov 2011 04:02:03 -0500; 11h ago
> * * * *Main PID: 9613 (pcscd)
> * * * * *CGroup: name=systemd:/system/pcscd.service
> * * * * * * * * *â 9613 /usr/sbin/pcscd -f
>
> That tells me it is running despite being disabled.
>
> [root@zooty ~]# grep pcscd /lib/systemd/system/*.service
> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:Requires=pcscd.socket
> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pcscd -f
> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:ExecReload=/usr/sbin/pcscd -H
> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:Also=pcscd.socket
>
> That tells me no other service asks for it to be started
> (directly, anyway).
>
> So, I'm still wondering why the heck it is running.

Good question. I'm neither a systemd or pcscd expert.

But from what I can tell, pcscd is started by a "trigger", rather than
by a "runlevel". What happens is that systemd creates a Unix-domain
socket for pcscd to eventually communicate with applications which use
it. But the pcscd daemon process itself is not started right away.

Instead systemd detects when an application attempts to connect to
that Unix-domain socket, and at that time will start the pcscd
process, passing it the socket descriptor. So in effect pcscd is
started only when it is needed by an application. I can't tell you
want that application is though.

The creation of the socket and the launching of the daemon are two
separate systemd units:

systemctl status pcscd.socket
systemctl status pcscd.service


Also see http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.com/2011/11/pcscd-auto-start-using-systemd.html
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Lucélio Gomes de Freitas
 
Default SystemD Resolved

Uau... Good...

Em 18-11-2011 19:03, Deron Meranda escreveu:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:02:11 -0500
>> Deron Meranda wrote:
>>
>>> systemctl status pcscd.service
>>>
>>> grep pcscd /lib/systemd/system/*.service
>>>
>>>
>>> Does that work, or are you asking something more?
>> [root@zooty ~]# systemctl status pcscd.service
>> pcscd.service - PC/SC Smart Card Daemon
>> Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service; disabled)
>> Active: active (running) since Fri, 18 Nov 2011 04:02:03 -0500; 11h ago
>> Main PID: 9613 (pcscd)
>> CGroup: name=systemd:/system/pcscd.service
>> â 9613 /usr/sbin/pcscd -f
>>
>> That tells me it is running despite being disabled.
>>
>> [root@zooty ~]# grep pcscd /lib/systemd/system/*.service
>> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:Requires=pcscd.socket
>> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pcscd -f
>> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:ExecReload=/usr/sbin/pcscd -H
>> /lib/systemd/system/pcscd.service:Also=pcscd.socket
>>
>> That tells me no other service asks for it to be started
>> (directly, anyway).
>>
>> So, I'm still wondering why the heck it is running.
> Good question. I'm neither a systemd or pcscd expert.
>
> But from what I can tell, pcscd is started by a "trigger", rather than
> by a "runlevel". What happens is that systemd creates a Unix-domain
> socket for pcscd to eventually communicate with applications which use
> it. But the pcscd daemon process itself is not started right away.
>
> Instead systemd detects when an application attempts to connect to
> that Unix-domain socket, and at that time will start the pcscd
> process, passing it the socket descriptor. So in effect pcscd is
> started only when it is needed by an application. I can't tell you
> want that application is though.
>
> The creation of the socket and the launching of the daemon are two
> separate systemd units:
>
> systemctl status pcscd.socket
> systemctl status pcscd.service
>
>
> Also see http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.com/2011/11/pcscd-auto-start-using-systemd.html

--
Lucélio Gomes de Freitas
ETFCSF-> U.G.F.-> P.U.C.(RJ)
Engº, Analista Suporte(Free Mind).
Email: aa.lucelio@gmail.com
Tel: 55 0XX 21 85964911

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Thomas Cameron
 
Default SystemD Resolved

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 11/18/2011 12:36 PM, Fedora User wrote:
> After all my kvetching, it turns out that systemd is really pretty easy
> to administer. SOME techs have a tendency to write documentation that
> is rather esoteric. I think that I likened the 49 man pages for systemd
> to Talmudic study.
>
> This could use a graphical application to create the necessary links.

Do you know Python? Patches cheerfully accepted! ;-)

> I
> was lost because of being accustomed to SysV for more than a decade. My
> concern is that a new user migrating from windows would be equally
> lost. This could also use a SIMPLE guide for end users who would
> ordinarily manage just the multi-user and graphical target.wants.

Can you write up what you discovered and do a mini-HOWTO on
fedoraproject.org?

TC
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.14 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Red Hat - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk7H7wQACgkQmzle50YHwaDKBACfUopSh8aU11/DWLXZxU6K9LaV
1dkAoM5NL2T2hDMedIN1gWNLY5FaCWF3
=IMwq
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org