-   -   System hang under F16 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/600032-system-hang-under-f16.html)

Bill Murray 11-18-2011 05:20 PM

System hang under F16

Dear Fedora group,
Yesterday I updated the lastest F16 fixes. E.g.
mesa-dri-drivers-7.11-11.fc16.i686

today, twice, the system has hung completely as I opened a
new window. The new window was different on the two occasions;
emacs last time.
/var/log/messages has nothing in it.

How should I debug?
Bill
Kernel: 3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64
> lsmod
Module Size Used by
tcp_lp 2111 0
ebtable_nat 1967 0
ebtables 21732 1 ebtable_nat
ipt_MASQUERADE 2248 3
iptable_nat 4687 1
nf_nat 18606 2 ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
xt_CHECKSUM 1277 2
iptable_mangle 1663 1
tun 14111 2
bridge 72375 0
stp 1927 1 bridge
llc 4754 2 bridge,stp
libafs 658715 2
bnep 14195 2
bluetooth 202902 7 bnep
lockd 70080 0
nf_conntrack_netbios_ns 1265 0
xt_physdev 1715 1
nf_conntrack_broadcast 1319 1 nf_conntrack_netbios_ns
nf_conntrack_ipv4 8310 29 iptable_nat,nf_nat
ip6t_REJECT 4008 2
nf_defrag_ipv4 1513 1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
nf_conntrack_ipv6 7714 25
nf_defrag_ipv6 9115 1 nf_conntrack_ipv6
xt_state 1306 51
nf_conntrack 67597 8
ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_net bios_ns,nf_conntrack_broadcast,nf_conntrack_ipv4,n f_conntrack_ipv6,xt_state
ip6table_filter 1655 1
ip6_tables 16776 1 ip6table_filter
fuse 61671 5
gspca_ov519 30064 0
gspca_main 18860 1 gspca_ov519
videodev 78689 1 gspca_main
media 11511 1 videodev
v4l2_compat_ioctl32 7665 1 videodev
snd_usb_audio 105329 2
snd_usbmidi_lib 18071 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi 19878 1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_hda_codec_analog 82289 1
snd_hda_intel 24072 2
snd_hda_codec 85181 2 snd_hda_codec_analog,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 6264 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq 52186 0
snd_seq_device 5941 2 snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
e1000e 174876 0
snd_pcm 78498 3 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
hp_wmi 8103 0
sparse_keymap 3358 1 hp_wmi
rfkill 16336 3 bluetooth,hp_wmi
ppdev 7360 0
snd_timer 19372 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 63124 19
snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_ codec_analog,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep ,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 6267 1 snd
parport_pc 19600 0
snd_page_alloc 7311 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
parport 32310 2 ppdev,parport_pc
iTCO_wdt 12024 0
microcode 18539 0
iTCO_vendor_support 2578 1 iTCO_wdt
tpm_infineon 6962 0
serio_raw 4298 0
virtio_net 12856 0
kvm_intel 119162 0
kvm 328030 1 kvm_intel
nls_utf8 1389 1
sunrpc 201219 2 lockd
udf 66472 0
crc_itu_t 1547 1 udf
uinput 7230 0
binfmt_misc 6983 1
usb_storage 45966 4
pata_acpi 3419 0
uas 7775 0
wmi 9049 1 hp_wmi
ata_generic 3587 0
i915 389602 2
drm_kms_helper 26490 1 i915
drm 194476 3 i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 4958 1 i915
i2c_core 25728 5
videodev,i915,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
video 12388 1 i915

--
Bill Murray ---- ATLAS
STFC RAL at: Bat 161 1-08, CERN,1211 Meyrin, Geneve 23, Switzerland

Maciek Borzecki 11-18-2011 08:25 PM

System hang under F16

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Bill Murray <bill.murray@cern.ch> wrote:
> * Dear Fedora group,
> * * * * * * * Yesterday I updated the lastest F16 fixes. E.g.
> mesa-dri-drivers-7.11-11.fc16.i686
>
> today, twice, the system has hung completely as I opened a
> new window. The new window was different on the two occasions;
> emacs last time.
> * /var/log/messages has nothing in it.
Try to disable alll forms of compositing, i.e. if using gnome shell
switch to fallback mode, if KDE, disable all desktop effects.

maciek

Deron Meranda 11-18-2011 11:18 PM

System hang under F16

>> today, twice, the system has hung completely as I opened a
>> new window. The new window was different on the two occasions;

I have no idea if it is related, but twice with F16 I've had Gnome
completely lock up. The mouse pointer would move, but otherwise the
screen was completely unresponsive, not even any of the keyboard hot
keys would work (Alt-F*, ctrl-alt-del, etc).

However the OS was still running, and I could ssh in from another
machine. After killing the gnome session processes everything would be
okay, no reboot needed.

When it locked it up I was usually "playing" pretty hard with the
gnome interface, opening and closing windows quickly, etc. I do use
emacs, but none of my lockups involved interaction with any emacs
windows.

Using gnome-shell-3.2.1-2.fc16.x86_64

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

John Wendel 11-19-2011 03:46 AM

System hang under F16

On 11/18/2011 04:18 PM, Deron Meranda wrote:
>>> today, twice, the system has hung completely as I opened a
>>> new window. The new window was different on the two occasions;
> I have no idea if it is related, but twice with F16 I've had Gnome
> completely lock up. The mouse pointer would move, but otherwise the
> screen was completely unresponsive, not even any of the keyboard hot
> keys would work (Alt-F*, ctrl-alt-del, etc).
>
> However the OS was still running, and I could ssh in from another
> machine. After killing the gnome session processes everything would be
> okay, no reboot needed.
>
> When it locked it up I was usually "playing" pretty hard with the
> gnome interface, opening and closing windows quickly, etc. I do use
> emacs, but none of my lockups involved interaction with any emacs
> windows.
>
> Using gnome-shell-3.2.1-2.fc16.x86_64

I've had a few gnome-shell hangs with f16. In all cases,
ctrl-alt-backspace worked to kill it and it then restarted.

Regards,

John

Deron Meranda 11-19-2011 03:57 AM

System hang under F16

> I've had a few gnome-shell hangs with f16. In all cases,
> ctrl-alt-backspace worked to kill it and it then restarted.

I just had a Gnome lockup as I was reading your message.
ctrl-alt-backspace did not work.

Rather than hijack the OP's thread, which I suspect may be different
from a Gnome problem (unless he follows up otherwise), I'm going to go
try to collect some logs and other things and create a new email
thread in a few moments....

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/

jackson byers 11-19-2011 10:45 PM

System hang under F16

> I have no idea if it is related, but twice with F16
> I've had Gnome completely lock up.
> The mouse pointer would move,
> but otherwise the screen was completely unresponsive,
> not even any of the keyboard hot
> keys would work (Alt-F*, ctrl-alt-del, etc).

FWIW, I am seeing exactly same response on F14
complete lock up, pointer moves.

I was not able to ssh in from my wife's iMac (normally, I can)

this version of F14 was from a fresh install, hardisk install from the iso.

I have another version of F14 (preupgrade from F12) which I am using now,
that is not experiencing this lock up

Jack

Maciek Borzecki 11-20-2011 06:15 PM

System hang under F16

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> today, twice, the system has hung completely as I opened a
>>> new window. The new window was different on the two occasions;
>
> I have no idea if it is related, but twice with F16 I've had Gnome
> completely lock up. The mouse pointer would move, but otherwise the
> screen was completely unresponsive, not even any of the keyboard hot
> keys would work (Alt-F*, ctrl-alt-del, etc).
What kind of GPU do you have?

maciek