Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Skunk Worx

Default Is android linux done right?

Android may be the fastest growing linux distribution in history.

Now that Google has open sourced Ice Cream Sandwich, will some linux
distribution leverage the Android "Java Desktop" just as Android
leveraged the linux kernel?

Is the Android WM / Compositor so different from X11 that it is simply
unpossible?

Could an ICS port to X86 use bits of the open source nouveau or radeon
drivers and thus become a fairly decent decent desktop or laptop OS,
maybe even to the point of accessing the various app stores?

Could this be a future version of Fedora?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Ian Malone

On 18 November 2011 06:44, Skunk Worx <skunkworx@verizon.net> wrote:

> maybe even to the point of accessing the various app stores?

You mean Yum?

--
imalone

Old 11-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Rex Dieter

Skunk Worx wrote:

> Android may be the fastest growing linux distribution in history.
> Could this be a future version of Fedora?

Not realistically, too many parts of android are nonfree, iirc.

-- rex

Old 11-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:14:38 -0600
Rex Dieter wrote:

> > Could this be a future version of Fedora?
>
> Not realistically, too many parts of android are nonfree, iirc.

Too many parts of android are left out as well. Try
to run a IP stack over bluetooth, or connect a USB or
bluetooth keyboard for easy typing, or setup different
proxy services for different wifi connections, etc.
The list is endless, and you'll always wind up tracking
down obscure 3rd party apps that may or may not work
and may or may not require a rooted phone.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Pete Travis

On Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM, "Skunk Worx" <skunkworx@verizon.net> wrote:

> Android may be the fastest growing linux distribution in history.

> Now that Google has open sourced Ice Cream Sandwich, will some linux

> distribution leverage the Android "Java Desktop" just as Android

> leveraged the linux kernel?

> Is the Android WM / Compositor so different from X11 that it is simply

> unpossible?

> Could an ICS port to X86 use bits of the open source nouveau or radeon

> drivers and thus become a fairly decent decent desktop or laptop OS,

> maybe even to the point of accessing the various app stores?

> Could this be a future version of Fedora?

Android makes an excellent example of how the Linux kernel is versatile enough to drive application specific solutions tailored to a specific use case.* The platform's success on mobile hardware doesn't make it well suited to the desktop.** Fedora makes an excellent admin or development workstation, but that doesn't mean it is suited for use in point of sale systems or embedded Linux toasters.* I think its great that products are becoming more tailored for the way we use them, but I'm not about to jump on this ridiculous "the desktop is dead" bandwagon that's become popular linkbait lately.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
夜神 岩男

On 11/19/2011 09:04 AM, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM, "Skunk Worx" <skunkworx@verizon.net
> <mailto:skunkworx@verizon.net>> wrote:
> >
> > Android may be the fastest growing linux distribution in history.
> >
> > Now that Google has open sourced Ice Cream Sandwich, will some linux
> > distribution leverage the Android "Java Desktop" just as Android
> > leveraged the linux kernel?
> >
> > Is the Android WM / Compositor so different from X11 that it is simply
> > unpossible?
> >
> > Could an ICS port to X86 use bits of the open source nouveau or radeon
> > drivers and thus become a fairly decent decent desktop or laptop OS,
> > maybe even to the point of accessing the various app stores?
> >
> > Could this be a future version of Fedora?
> > --
> Android makes an excellent example of how the Linux kernel is versatile
> enough to drive application specific solutions tailored to a specific
> use case. The platform's success on mobile hardware doesn't make it
> well suited to the desktop. Fedora makes an excellent admin or
> development workstation, but that doesn't mean it is suited for use in
> point of sale systems or embedded Linux toasters. I think its great
> that products are becoming more tailored for the way we use them, but
> I'm not about to jump on this ridiculous "the desktop is dead" bandwagon
> that's become popular linkbait lately.

Fixed:

Gnome3 makes an excellent example of how the Linux kernel is versatile
to a specific use case but I'm not about to jump on this ridiculous "the
desktop is dead" bandwagon.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Skunk Worx

On 11/18/2011 04:04 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM, "Skunk Worx"<skunkworx@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> Android may be the fastest growing linux distribution in history.
>>
>> Now that Google has open sourced Ice Cream Sandwich, will some linux
>> distribution leverage the Android "Java Desktop" just as Android
>> leveraged the linux kernel?
>>
>> Is the Android WM / Compositor so different from X11 that it is simply
>> unpossible?
>>
>> Could an ICS port to X86 use bits of the open source nouveau or radeon
>> drivers and thus become a fairly decent decent desktop or laptop OS,
>> maybe even to the point of accessing the various app stores?
>>
>> Could this be a future version of Fedora?
>> --
> Android makes an excellent example of how the Linux kernel is versatile
> enough to drive application specific solutions tailored to a specific use
> case. The platform's success on mobile hardware doesn't make it well
> suited to the desktop. Fedora makes an excellent admin or development
> workstation, but that doesn't mean it is suited for use in point of sale
> systems or embedded Linux toasters. I think its great that products are
> becoming more tailored for the way we use them, but I'm not about to jump
> on this ridiculous "the desktop is dead" bandwagon that's become popular
> linkbait lately.

Just being able to reliably run .apk files on the desktop would be nice.

The Google / Android Emulator is practically unusable IMHO and in my
opinion google glosses over / casually closes bugs reported against it.

I don't know enough (technically) to speak on what strategy / roadmap
could be followed to run .apk files on a Fedora x86 desktop.

The whole .jar vs. .apk container is part of the Oracle-Google lawsuit
as I recall.

---
John