Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Chris G

Default Samba - why isn't "force user" working as I expect?

At the end of my smb.conf file I have:-

[Scans]
comment = Digikam scans for chrisx
path = /home/chrisx/pictures/Scans
writeable = yes
force user = chrisx

[xpIsbd]
comment = ISBD on XP
path = /home/isbd/xpIsbd
writeable = yes
force user = isbd

I thought this would mean that when I connect to these shares from my
XP machine (on which I am user chris) any files and/or directories I
create there would be created as users chrisx and isbd respectively.

However it's not working, I can connect to the shares without any
problem but files/directories are always created with owner chris.

What am I doing wrong?

(This is samba 3.0.28a on Fedora 8)

--
Chris Green

Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:40:50PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> At the end of my smb.conf file I have:-
>
> [Scans]
> comment = Digikam scans for chrisx
> path = /home/chrisx/pictures/Scans
> writeable = yes
> force user = chrisx
>
> [xpIsbd]
> comment = ISBD on XP
> path = /home/isbd/xpIsbd
> writeable = yes
> force user = isbd
>
> I thought this would mean that when I connect to these shares from my
> XP machine (on which I am user chris) any files and/or directories I
> create there would be created as users chrisx and isbd respectively.
>
> However it's not working, I can connect to the shares without any
> problem but files/directories are always created with owner chris.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> (This is samba 3.0.28a on Fedora 8)

I have just realised what I was doing wrong!

I was accessing the shares as homechrisx/pictures/Scans from my XP
machine and that (of course!) was accessing them via the default
[homes] share in smb.conf.

If I access the shares as homexpIsbd and homeScans then
everything works as expected.

Grrrrrr!!! It's taken me hours to realise this!

--
Chris Green