Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
suvayu ali

Default Fedora 16 and switchable graphics - ATI Radeon HD 6600M video(Sony VAIO SA25GB)

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 22:20, <fernando@lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> (But is "intel" the correct Xorg driver for the Intel HD graphics from the sandy bridge chipset?)

Thats the incorrect kernel module name. The names depend on the
chipset in use. Mine for example is i915. I would advice ask these
questions on the Phoronix forums, you will have greater chance of
finding answers.

--
Suvayu

Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Thursday 17 November 2011 19:20:49 fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> - The VAIO notebook doesn't have a BIOS option to turn off the ATI video.
> But it has a "stamina/speed" tootle on the keyboard. Under Windows,
> changing the toogle makes the screen go blank for a few seconds and back,
> supposedly to change the video driver. I tried to keep the tootle on
> "stamina" and reboot, then I created a xorg.conf for the intel video
> driver. Didn't worked.

Exactly *how* it didn't work? Any error messages? What do you see on the
screen?

> (But is "intel" the correct Xorg driver for the
> Intel HD graphics from the sandy bridge chipset?)

I take it you have modified your xorg.conf to to use "intel" as the driver?

As an alternative, why don't you delete/rename the xorg.conf, reboot without
it, and let X configure itself automatically? Then look inside
/var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what driver is in use.

After that you can generate an xorg.conf file (if you have a need for it) using
the "Xorg -configure". You need to do it as root, it will create the file in
your current directory, and then you can tweak it to taste and move it to
/etc/X11/ where it belongs.

> - I tried keeping the tootle on "speed" and created a xorg.conf using the
> driver "radeon". (This is the open source driver, right?) But it didn't
> worked.

Ditto as for the intel above.

As a general note, /var/log/Xorg.0.log is a very good source of information
about what is actually going on with X and you can look inside for any errors,
warnings, and other reports which might give you a clue about the problem.

Try to describe what doesn't work for you in more detail, and maybe even post
your X log file on pastebin or whereever, and give us a link to look at it.

HTH, :-)
Marko