Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Robert L Cochran

Default Accessing USB Programmer With avrdude

John Summerfield wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> I'm having trouble trying to access a USB device under Fedora 7. I think
>> udev might be my problem.
>>
>> When I try using avrdude with this line:
>>
>> [rlc@bobcp4 atmega644]$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m644 -P usb -U
>> flash:w:blink_pb3.hex
>>
>> I get this error message:
>>
>> avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
> Try with a leading zero. .../0x0c9f

I got frustrated and tried this on Microsoft Windows XP...I have this
working on XP -- avrdude definitely detects the programmer device and
then it is able to initialize the target microcontroller through the
programmer. On Fedora 7, it cannot detect the programmer at all, and I
think that is either because there is a udev rules problem, or avrdude
was built without libusb support. Maybe I should get the source rpm and
check into that.

I will try to put up a web page with photos of the programmer connected
to a breadboard with the target mcu (an ATMega644) and a test circuit to
play with...specifically an LED connected to pin PB3 that I want to blink.

Thanks

Bob

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
John Summerfield

Robert L Cochran wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

Robert L Cochran wrote:

I'm having trouble trying to access a USB device under Fedora 7. I think
udev might be my problem.

When I try using avrdude with this line:

[rlc@bobcp4 atmega644]$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m644 -P usb -U
flash:w:blink_pb3.hex

I get this error message:

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

Try with a leading zero. .../0x0c9f

I got frustrated and tried this on Microsoft Windows XP...I have this
working on XP -- avrdude definitely detects the programmer device and
then it is able to initialize the target microcontroller through the

That rules out a lot of the potential problems.

Did you try the leading zero? It would surprise me not at all if some
critical software's doing a character compare, and even if it's
converting to binary, there are two ways to convert 0xcf8 one = 0x0cf9
and the other 0xcf90. Which correct is a matter of definition.

programmer. On Fedora 7, it cannot detect the programmer at all, and I
think that is either because there is a udev rules problem, or avrdude
was built without libusb support. Maybe I should get the source rpm and
check into that.

I would expect it to run without udev. I would expect lsusb to see the
device, and when you modprobe the driver, the driver should see it.

udev is icing, it's no good without the cake.

I will try to put up a web page with photos of the programmer connected
to a breadboard with the target mcu (an ATMega644) and a test circuit to
play with...specifically an LED connected to pin PB3 that I want to blink.

It won't mean anything to me:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 03-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 23:18 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
> > Robert L Cochran wrote:
> >> I'm having trouble trying to access a USB device under Fedora 7. I think
> >> udev might be my problem.
> >>
> >> When I try using avrdude with this line:
> >>
> >> [rlc@bobcp4 atmega644]$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m644 -P usb -U
> >> flash:w:blink_pb3.hex
> >>
> >> I get this error message:
> >>
> >> avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
> > Try with a leading zero. .../0x0c9f
> >
> I got frustrated and tried this on Microsoft Windows XP...I have this
> working on XP -- avrdude definitely detects the programmer device and
> then it is able to initialize the target microcontroller through the
> programmer. On Fedora 7, it cannot detect the programmer at all, and I
> think that is either because there is a udev rules problem, or avrdude
> was built without libusb support. Maybe I should get the source rpm and
> check into that.
>
> I will try to put up a web page with photos of the programmer connected
> to a breadboard with the target mcu (an ATMega644) and a test circuit to
> play with...specifically an LED connected to pin PB3 that I want to blink.

What was the name of the company that RedHat acquired in 2000 that had a
software suite for microdevices?? They were in California, Sunnyvale, I
dimly recall. Rahul, do you know this one?? It was one of RedHat's
profitable entities. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar