Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Antonio M

Default Characters have become unpleaseant in F16

After latest updates I think that characters have become unpleasant
(check for example Firefox menus and aldo Libreoffice menus)
Anyone else experiencing same issue???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 11-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Tom Horsley

"Unplesant" isn't much of a description :-). If you
mean thin and spindly and hard to read, you might
want to try this:

cd /etc/fonts/conf.d/
ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf .

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Antonio M

2011/11/16 Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com>:
> "Unplesant" isn't much of a description :-). If you
> mean thin and spindly and hard to read, you might
> want to try this:
>
> cd /etc/fonts/conf.d/
> ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf .

it did the trick...

Can I get same result with a graphical interface???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
mike cloaked

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Unplesant" isn't much of a description :-). If you
> mean thin and spindly and hard to read, you might
> want to try this:
>
> cd /etc/fonts/conf.d/
> ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf .

Thank you for that lovely hint - it has fixed an irritation I have had
with Thunderbird for ages! It should be included in the list of common
problems or at least in one of the lists of Fedora hints and tips
somewhere.......

--
mike c

Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Tom Horsley wrote:
> cd/etc/fonts/conf.d/
> ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf .

Beware: This is not a miracle drug. In my case, adding this symbolic
link makes fonts look worse.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 AM
nomnex

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:12:28 -0600
Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > cd/etc/fonts/conf.d/
> > ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf .
>
> Beware: This is not a miracle drug. In my case, adding this symbolic
> link makes fonts look worse.

If it still helps the OP, I have used this link with a good result on
F15. If it does not work, simply remove the created conf. file.

https://kevinkofler.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/hint-how-to-force-autohinting-on-fedora-15/

--
nomnex.
Registered Linux user #505281. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/

Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 16.11.2011, mike cloaked wrote:

> It should be included in the list of common
> problems or at least in one of the lists of Fedora hints and tips
> somewhere.......

You have full control over hinting and alike via the .fonts.conf file.
This is what I'm used to have in there:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="autohint" >
<bool>false</bool>