Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Matthew Moore

Default NFS problem

Hello,

You might try running

$ exportfs -r

on the host computer.

MM

Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Ken Heard

Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Alex Samad

some thoughts inline

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:13:28PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

> rightly intimated that I should have provided more information so that
> he (and others?) could help me. So, here is the information he asked me
> for, as well as the output of the "strace mount -a" command.

[snip]

> Other factors which may have a bearing on the situation: the BDS
> computer is a P4; whereas the SOL is a dual core on a Foxconn
> motherboard. Several other things do not work properly in SOL, such as
> mounting and unmounting CF cards; so I wonder if there is something
> wrong with the Foxconn BIOS. There has been some noise on line recently
> about Foxconn's unfriendliness to Linux; for on Foxconn board model (not
> mine) somebody disected the BIOS and found out why. When he raised the
> issue with Foxconn they were upset at being found out but did not care
> whether Linux worked with Foxconn boards or not. Caveat emptor.

I would be rather supprised if a boggy bios stopped nfs mounting, as long
as ping and other ip was working okay

> There are also other differences which I should not think contribute to
> the problem. In SOL only the /home directories and files are encrypted.
> SOL uses the XFS file system; BDS has ext3.
>
> I apologize for the length of this message, but it was necessary to
> provide the requested information. I hope it will be worthwhile.
>
> Regards, Ken Heard, Toronto, Canada
> -

[snip]

have you looked at /etc/hosts.allow and deny. check out
/var/log/auth.log and daemon.log.

Usually the only permissioning problems are

access to the path I think full path access is need ie for an export of
/home/alex/test I would need access to /home and /home/alex and
/home/alex/test.

Another thing I do when trying to diagnose this is tcpdump, turn off all
the other mounts and start up tcpdump to capture the packets between the
servers. (u could also use wireshark or tshark)

Also have a look from each server to the other server with showmounts -e
<servername>

--
"He understands the need for a timely write of the constitution."

- George W. Bush
04/28/2005
Washington, DC
on Prime Minister Iyad Allawi of Iraq

Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Machines A and B both run Debian. There are no firewall rules
blocking any kind of traffic A<-->B.

I try to mount, by means of nfs, a directory of B to a mount point
on A, read-write.

/etc/exports in B has:
/home/storage/video A(rw,sync,subtree_check)

/etc/fstab in A has:
B:/home/storage/video /mountB nfs
user,rw,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,noauto 0 0

If I call (on A)
mount /mountB

I can read the contents of /home/storage/video on B. But I cannot
write anything to it. I keep getting the message "read-only
filesystem".

I hope there are some nfs experts here who can shed some light.

Regards, Jan

Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 AM
"Mirco Piccin"

Hi,

> Machines A and B both run Debian. There are no firewall rules
> blocking any kind of traffic A<-->B.

> I try to mount, by means of nfs, a directory of B to a mount point
> on A, read-write.

> I can read the contents of /home/storage/video on B. But I cannot
> write anything to it. I keep getting the message "read-only
> filesystem".

i'm not actual using NFS, but i remember that you must have the same
user and group id on both pc, or you will not able to do the job as
you describe.

hope this helps you!
Regards

Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 AM
"Kurian Thayil"

Hi,

If I can remember correctly. Include the option no_root_squash in
/etc/exports of B. It will be like,

/home/storage/video A(rw,sync,subtree_check,no_root_squash)

You will be able to read-write as root if you include this option.

Regards,

Kurian Mathew Thayil.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Kurian Thayil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I can remember correctly. Include the option no_root_squash
> in /etc/exports of B. It will be like,
>
> /home/storage/video A(rw,sync,subtree_check,no_root_squash)
>
> You will be able to read-write as root if you include this
> option.

This did not really work. To my amazement, the following drastic
simplification worked:

on B: /etc exports reads

/home/storage/video A(async) C(async)

A user on the home net (desktop machine A or C) can mount, read,
and write the shared directory now.

nfs remains mysterious. But I am slowly gaining experience, now my
home has become 100% Debian (two desktops and a
gateway/server/firewall).

Regards, Jan

Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Timothy Murphy

I'm trying to NFS-mount a CentOS directory on my Fedora laptop,
but I find I can only do this is I turn off the firewall
on the CentOS server.

If instead I go to system-config-securitylevel-tui on the server,
and allow NFS4, this does not do the trick.
Nor does allowing port 2049.

What do I need to allow?

[I should say that the CentOS server is remote,
and difficult to access directly;
that is why I used system-config-securitylevel-tui,
rather than system-config-securitylevel .]

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM
"nate"

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm trying to NFS-mount a CentOS directory on my Fedora laptop,
> but I find I can only do this is I turn off the firewall
> on the CentOS server.
>
> If instead I go to system-config-securitylevel-tui on the server,
> and allow NFS4, this does not do the trick.
> Nor does allowing port 2049.
>
> What do I need to allow?

Look at the firewall logs, RPC services use somewhat random ports,
you can look at what ports are being used with the 'rpcinfo' command,
you can also look at hard coding what ports are used to make firewall
configuration simpler(don't have docs off hand, search for them, easy
to find).

nate

Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 23:30 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm trying to NFS-mount a CentOS directory on my Fedora laptop,
> but I find I can only do this is I turn off the firewall
> on the CentOS server.
>
> If instead I go to system-config-securitylevel-tui on the server,
> and allow NFS4, this does not do the trick.
> Nor does allowing port 2049.
>
> What do I need to allow?

Here is my note regarding how to make this work:

Create the file "/etc/sysconfig/nfs" and add the following contents:

STATD_PORT=4001
LOCKD_TCPPORT=4002
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4002
MOUNTD_PORT=4003

Append the following to the file "/etc/services":

rquotad 4004/tcp # rpc.rquotad tcp port
rquotad 4004/udp # rpc.rquotad udp port

Restart the nfs services

>From there, open these ports -> 111:tcp, 111:udp, 2049:tcp, 2049:udp,
4001:tcp, 4001:udp, 4002:tcp, 4002:udp, 4003:tcp, 4003:udp, 4004:tcp,
4004:udp