Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 AM
Patrick Lists

Default F16 GDM: Howto disable user-list, change background, enable date?

Hi,

After making some changes to my F15 kickstart file I succeeded in
installing F16 on my laptop. Unfortunately some things that worked in my
F15 kickstart file don't work with F16:

How do I disable the user list (aka face browser) in the F16 GDM startup
screen?

How do I change the background in the F16 GDM startup screen?

How do I show the date in the F16 GDM startup screen

I tried finding the appropriate dconf/gconf voodoo but the Gnome
developers did an excellent job of hiding the solution

Thanks!
Patrick

Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Genes MailLists

On 11/14/2011 09:44 PM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After making some changes to my F15 kickstart file I succeeded in
> installing F16 on my laptop. Unfortunately some things that worked in my
> F15 kickstart file don't work with F16:
>
> How do I disable the user list (aka face browser) in the F16 GDM startup
> screen?
>
> How do I change the background in the F16 GDM startup screen?
>
> How do I show the date in the F16 GDM startup screen
>
> I tried finding the appropriate dconf/gconf voodoo but the Gnome
> developers did an excellent job of hiding the solution

I cannot speak to anything too new - but in the days of yore - gdm
user list could be turned off via: (ignore line wraps obvioosly).
I long ago switched to kdm where all things are configurable and 'just
work' ... perhaps you tried this and need the new dconf way?

1) remove user list:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

regards gene/

Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Patrick Lists

On 11/15/2011 04:02 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> 1) remove user list:
>
> gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
> xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set
> /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

Thank you for your feedback. I tried that one and it did not work.
Perhaps the setting is hidden in dconf. The search continues...

Regards,
Patrick

Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Genes MailLists

On 11/14/2011 10:21 PM, Patrick Lists wrote:

> Thank you for your feedback. I tried that one and it did not work.
> Perhaps the setting is hidden in dconf. The search continues...

You may want to try kdm - it doesn't have security implications from
information leakage ...

gene