Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM
"Smith, Herb"

Default Upgrade vs PreUpgrade - I'm confused

All,

I have been using Fedora since back in the RedHat 8 days. Here of late, when updates come out I have typically just downloaded the DVD and done an Upgrade of an existing installation and I have had great success with that. I have not used PreUpgrade and I'm not clear on what the advantages are supposed to be in going that route. At times I have backed up my user directory, done a clean install and then restored my home directory.

With the changes that are introduced in FC16 (specifically the UID and GID numbering and the disk label changes) I was wondering if using PreUpgrade is preferred. With the UID changes I was not certain that my process of backing up my home directory and restoring it after a clean install would work at all, but I thought a straight Upgrade process might be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Herb Smith

Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 14.11.2011, Smith, Herb wrote:

> With the changes that are introduced in FC16 (specifically
> the UID and GID numbering and the disk label changes) I
> was wondering if using PreUpgrade is preferred.

After reading about problems with grub and uid/gid here, I would
suggest doing a fresh install this time..