-   -   F16 Printer Setup (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/598339-f16-printer-setup.html)

Tim Evans 11-14-2011 03:37 PM

F16 Printer Setup

On 11/14/2011 10:52 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 10:13 -0500, Tim Evans wrote:
>> New F16 install (fresh install, not preupgrade). Printer setup says:
>>
>> FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns,
>> ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.
>>
>> If firewall isn't running, why does it say all this stuff need to be
>> enabled on firewall? Or am I mis-reading this?
>
> "FirewallD" is the mechanism for configuring the firewall. Without that
> mechanism running, the firewall cannot be modified by that program
> (GNOME System Settings, 'printers' plugin). It doesn't mean the
> firewall is not running, just that it cannot be altered by the program.
>
> The ability to configure network printers using the GNOME System
> Settings program is fairly basic at the moment. You may have more luck
> with system-config-printer (Applications -> Other -> Printing).

Thanks for the explanation of the message, and for the reminder
system-config-printer still exists. Works fine, and it did prompt for
opening the firewall (I expect I'll disable the firewall, since I'm
behind a dedicated firewall system anyway).

Joe Zeff 11-14-2011 06:17 PM

F16 Printer Setup

On 11/14/2011 08:37 AM, Tim Evans wrote:
> Works fine, and it did prompt for
> opening the firewall (I expect I'll disable the firewall, since I'm
> behind a dedicated firewall system anyway).

Not a good idea IMO. If anything glitches on that other box you've got
nothing. As it its, you have two layers of security and if one fails,
you've still got the other.