Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Tim Evans

Default F16 Printer Setup

New F16 install (fresh install, not preupgrade). Printer setup says:

FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns,
ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.

If firewall isn't running, why does it say all this stuff need to be
enabled on firewall? Or am I mis-reading this?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Tim Waugh

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 10:13 -0500, Tim Evans wrote:
> New F16 install (fresh install, not preupgrade). Printer setup says:
>
> FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns,
> ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.
>
> If firewall isn't running, why does it say all this stuff need to be
> enabled on firewall? Or am I mis-reading this?

"FirewallD" is the mechanism for configuring the firewall. Without that
mechanism running, the firewall cannot be modified by that program
(GNOME System Settings, 'printers' plugin). It doesn't mean the
firewall is not running, just that it cannot be altered by the program.

The ability to configure network printers using the GNOME System
Settings program is fairly basic at the moment. You may have more luck
with system-config-printer (Applications -> Other -> Printing).

Tim.
*/

Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Genes MailLists

On 11/14/2011 10:52 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 10:13 -0500, Tim Evans wrote:

> The ability to configure network printers using the GNOME System
> Settings program is fairly basic at the moment. You may have more luck
> with system-config-printer (Applications -> Other -> Printing).

Or perhaps connect directly to cups with a browser via:

http://localhost:631

Has generally worked well for me ... (firewalling issues aside)

gene