Old 03-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Chris G

Default Samba problem, can't connect as a different user

I am trying to connect to several shares on my Fedora 8 system as
different users from a Windows XP system.

I can't get the "Connect using a different user name" from XP to work
at all. I can only ever connect as the user I'm logged on to the XP
system as. I want to connect as a different user to one particular
share so I don't have to open up the write permissions.

Has anyone else used this and got it to work?

When I try "Connect using a different user name" I enter a valid samba
user and password but it always fails and asks for the user name and
password again. Even if I enter the user name that I already am in
the boxes it fails. Does the user name need some sort of domain
prefix or something?

--
Chris Green

Old 03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 17:22 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> I am trying to connect to several shares on my Fedora 8 system as
> different users from a Windows XP system.
>
> I can't get the "Connect using a different user name" from XP to work
> at all. I can only ever connect as the user I'm logged on to the XP
> system as. I want to connect as a different user to one particular
> share so I don't have to open up the write permissions.
>
> Has anyone else used this and got it to work?
>
> When I try "Connect using a different user name" I enter a valid samba
> user and password but it always fails and asks for the user name and
> password again. Even if I enter the user name that I already am in
> the boxes it fails. Does the user name need some sort of domain
> prefix or something?
----
samba by default uses

security = user

which by current Windows standards means that a workstation can connect
to this particular server with only 1 identity. Thus if you are already
connected to a share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPfoo, you cannot connect to a
different share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPar

the 'security = share' concept emulates the Windows 95/98 sharing
concept where each share connection can be a different user but that is
essentially obsolete and should be avoided if possible.

Craig

Old 03-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 17:22 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > I am trying to connect to several shares on my Fedora 8 system as
> > different users from a Windows XP system.
> >
> > I can't get the "Connect using a different user name" from XP to work
> > at all. I can only ever connect as the user I'm logged on to the XP
> > system as. I want to connect as a different user to one particular
> > share so I don't have to open up the write permissions.
> >
> > Has anyone else used this and got it to work?
> >
> > When I try "Connect using a different user name" I enter a valid samba
> > user and password but it always fails and asks for the user name and
> > password again. Even if I enter the user name that I already am in
> > the boxes it fails. Does the user name need some sort of domain
> > prefix or something?
> ----
> samba by default uses
>
> security = user
>
> which by current Windows standards means that a workstation can connect
> to this particular server with only 1 identity. Thus if you are already
> connected to a share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPfoo, you cannot connect to a
> different share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPar
>
> the 'security = share' concept emulates the Windows 95/98 sharing
> concept where each share connection can be a different user but that is
> essentially obsolete and should be avoided if possible.

Yes, I suspect that's my problem, what a pain!

I seem to remember there's a way to tell samba that I want user X to
connect to a particular share as user Y, I guess (if there is such a
thing and my memory isn't playing tricks) that's what I'd better do.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-23-2008, 06:27 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Chris G wrote:

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Craig White wrote:

samba by default uses

security = user

which by current Windows standards means that a workstation can connect
to this particular server with only 1 identity. Thus if you are already
connected to a share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPfoo, you cannot connect to a
different share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPar

the 'security = share' concept emulates the Windows 95/98 sharing
concept where each share connection can be a different user but that is
essentially obsolete and should be avoided if possible.

Yes, I suspect that's my problem, what a pain!

I seem to remember there's a way to tell samba that I want user X to
connect to a particular share as user Y, I guess (if there is such a
thing and my memory isn't playing tricks) that's what I'd better do.

You can set up a share to always use a specific Linux User/Group by
using the "force user" and "force group" options.

Mikkel

Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 14:27 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> >> samba by default uses
> >>
> >> security = user
> >>
> >> which by current Windows standards means that a workstation can connect
> >> to this particular server with only 1 identity. Thus if you are already
> >> connected to a share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPfoo, you cannot connect to a
> >> different share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPar
> >>
> >> the 'security = share' concept emulates the Windows 95/98 sharing
> >> concept where each share connection can be a different user but that is
> >> essentially obsolete and should be avoided if possible.
> >>
> > Yes, I suspect that's my problem, what a pain!
> >
> > I seem to remember there's a way to tell samba that I want user X to
> > connect to a particular share as user Y, I guess (if there is such a
> > thing and my memory isn't playing tricks) that's what I'd better do.
> >
> You can set up a share to always use a specific Linux User/Group by
> using the "force user" and "force group" options.
----
that sort of changes things at the server end which may be useful to him
but wasn't responsive to his question which was that he wants to 'log
in' as different users to different shares from the same server.

Craig

Old 03-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Les Mikesell

Chris G wrote:

[...]

He already had the way to have logins per share instead of per
connection above. You can combine force user/group with allowed users
to let your connection authenticate as a user in a permitted set but for
the specified share use a different uid/gid.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Chris G

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 02:27:51PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>>> samba by default uses
>>>
>>> security = user
>>>
>>> which by current Windows standards means that a workstation can connect
>>> to this particular server with only 1 identity. Thus if you are already
>>> connected to a share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPfoo, you cannot connect to a
>>> different share as DOMAIN|WORKGROUPar
>>>
>>> the 'security = share' concept emulates the Windows 95/98 sharing
>>> concept where each share connection can be a different user but that is
>>> essentially obsolete and should be avoided if possible.
>>>
>> Yes, I suspect that's my problem, what a pain!
>>
>> I seem to remember there's a way to tell samba that I want user X to
>> connect to a particular share as user Y, I guess (if there is such a
>> thing and my memory isn't playing tricks) that's what I'd better do.
>>
> You can set up a share to always use a specific Linux User/Group by using
> the "force user" and "force group" options.

That's what I was recalling I think, thanks. "force user" will suit
me fine.

--
Chris Green