Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Andy Blanchard

Default F16 - VSFTPd not allowing users to login

Hi,

Just upgraded a box from F15 to F16 and my previously working VSFTPd config appears to have broken.

If I enable anonymous logins, they work, but when a user tries to login there is a pause after the password is entered, then:

> 530 Login incorrect.
> Login failed.
I've tried playing around with VSFTPd settings but nothing seems to work, and I've also noticed that logging does not appear to be working either, so no debug information to help work out what's going wrong.* I'm guessing this isn't a VSFTPd issue but something related to permissions or PAM, but not sure what that might be.* SELinux is currently disabled, so it's definitely not that.

My current vsftpd.conf is:

> anonymous_enable=YES
> local_enable=YES
> write_enable=YES
> local_umask=022
> dirmessage_enable=YES
> dirlist_enable=YES
> xferlog_enable=YES

> connect_from_port_20=YES
> xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
> xferlog_std_format=YES
> listen=YES
> pam_service_name=vsftpd
> userlist_enable=YES
> tcp_wrappers=YES
> log_ftp_protocol=YES

Any ideas?

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Andy Blanchard

Update:* This is now fixed.* The problem was that "/bin/bash" was not included in the file "/etc/shells".

Bug 754056 has been opened against the setup RPM, which provides "/etc/shells", to correct this in the next release of the setup package.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Andy Blanchard <zocalo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Update:* This is now fixed.* The problem was that "/bin/bash" was not
> included in the file "/etc/shells".
>
> Bug 754056 has been opened against the setup RPM, which provides
> "/etc/shells", to correct this in the next release of the setup package.

If you find that bash is missing from the list in /etc/shells then one
way (at least in f16 x86_64 where I had a related issue) then doing as
root:
yum reinstall bash
fixed /etc/shells for me.

--