-   -   Fedora 16 and ATI Radeon HD 6600M video (Sony VAIO SA25GB) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/598185-fedora-16-ati-radeon-hd-6600m-video-sony-vaio-sa25gb.html)

11-14-2011 10:23 AM

Fedora 16 and ATI Radeon HD 6600M video (Sony VAIO SA25GB)

Hi there,

I got a Sony VAIO VPC SA25GB-SI notebook -- very nice machine, thin, 13.3" with 1600x900 resolution, 6GB RAM and i5 processor -- and installed Fedora 16 on it. All seems to be working fine, except video. It's an ATI Radeon HD 6600M. I heard ATI was working with the community and it was easier to get open source driver for it than for NVidia. It seems things are not so good yet. :-(

I had to "install using basic video mode", else I get a blank screen, and later I configured the RPMFusion repos -- but they have no ati driver for Fedora 16 yet. I also tried downloading the proprietary driver directly from ATI but it didn't worked also. The install procedure went without any errors, but on reboot the session manager and X server didn't start so I had to revert to the installation xorg.conf.

So I do not get to see Gnome 3.2 (the machine logs in using the "basic mode") and full-screen vide playback is not smooth.

Anyone there has a similar machine (at least similar video card) running Fedora? Should I try an older release (Fedora 15, Fedora 14) or even Ubuntu? Or do I have to wait for an updated video driver from either ATI or the community?

[]s Fernando Lozano