Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Linux Tyro

Default offline docs

Hi,

can one let me know about the excellent offline docs to learn linux from scratch?
--
THX

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 09:30, Linux Tyro <fedora.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can one let me know about the excellent offline docs to learn linux from
> scratch?

Depending on what you want to learn:

man <whatever>
info <whatever> or pinfo <whatever>

(lets say you want to learn about your shell and you use bash, then
the <whatever> is bash)

That said, man or info documentation pages can be sometimes very
information dense and difficult to follow. It is often much better to
follow dedicated tutorials on the Internet. So a better solution would
be "<your favourite search engine> <whatever> tutorial"

If you want to learn more about how to administer/manage your machine,
maybe read the release notes that comes with Fedora. You could also
download the various guides released by the Fedora docs team in
PDF/HTML form. <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html>

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Linux Tyro

(lets say you want to learn about your shell and you use bash, then

the <whatever> is bash)

That said, man or info documentation pages can be sometimes very

information dense and difficult to follow. It is often much better to

follow dedicated tutorials on the Internet. So a better solution would

be "<your favourite search engine> <whatever> tutorial"

If you want to learn more about how to administer/manage your machine,

maybe read the release notes that comes with Fedora. You could also

download the various guides released by the Fedora docs team in

PDF/HTML form. <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html>
Okay, I see, ty.

--
THX

Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM

On 11/14/2011 09:48 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 09:30, Linux Tyro <fedora.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> can one let me know about the excellent offline docs to learn linux from
>> scratch?
---

as mentioned, for fedora;

> If you want to learn more about how to administer/manage your machine,
> maybe read the release notes that comes with Fedora. You could also
> download the various guides released by the Fedora docs team in
> PDF/HTML form. <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html>

in addition:

linux from scratch;
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
http://tldp.org/LDP/lfs/LFS-BOOK-6.1.1.pdf
http://tldp.org/LDP/lfs/LFS-BOOK-6.1.1-HTML/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_From_Scratch

highly recommend;
Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
[download as pdf or html]

fedora linux;
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Installation_Guide/
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/

redhat linux;
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

general linux;
http://www.comptechdoc.org/
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/

plus;
see my sig.

if you need more, a google search of "linux from scratch" should give
you over 1M00 hits.

hth.
--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Linux Tyro

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

On 11/14/2011 09:48 AM, suvayu ali wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 09:30, Linux Tyro <fedora.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,

>> can one let me know about the excellent offline docs to learn linux from

>> scratch?

---

as mentioned, for fedora;

> If you want to learn more about how to administer/manage your machine,

> maybe read the release notes that comes with Fedora. You could also

> download the various guides released by the Fedora docs team in

> PDF/HTML form. <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html>

in addition:

linux from scratch;

*http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

*http://tldp.org/LDP/lfs/LFS-BOOK-6.1.1.pdf

*http://tldp.org/LDP/lfs/LFS-BOOK-6.1.1-HTML/index.html

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_From_Scratch

highly recommend;

*Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition

*http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html

*[download as pdf or html]

fedora linux;

*http://docs.fedoraproject.org/

*http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Installation_Guide/

*http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/

redhat linux;

*http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

general linux;

*http://www.comptechdoc.org/

*http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/

plus;

*see my sig.

if you need more, a google search of "linux from scratch" should give

you over 1M00 hits.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****

**

**

**

So I installed Linux.

**

learn linux:

'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/

I would just say "THANKS".
--
THX

Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/14/2011 07:17 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
> I would just say "THANKS".

10K of quoted text with one line at the bottom. Please don't do that again.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Linux Tyro

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> I would just say "THANKS".

10K of quoted text with one line at the bottom. *Please don't do that again.
.., the meaning of that 'THANKS' is that: I would have to go through the links and see and start learning linux from zeroth level...

--
THX

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/14/2011 11:13 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
> .., the meaning of that 'THANKS' is that: I would have to go through
> the links and see and start learning linux from zeroth level...

Most of that 10K of text wasn't the links. Quoting them, and only them
would have been sufficient.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM

On 11/14/2011 07:23 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 11:13 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
>> .., the meaning of that 'THANKS' is that: I would have to go through
>> the links and see and start learning linux from zeroth level...

to 'linux tyro',

learning linux is not a 3 or 4 day adventure. it takes time. and, you did
ask for "from scratch".

if you want an 'all in one' source, go with "Rute". it is very thorough and
the html version is only a 1.5 meg gzip download. i can not comment on the
'pdf' size as i did not pull it because i find 'html' easier to use as i
can make my own bookmarks for later referencing.

reason for posting other links;

to give you a link for "from scratch" site. the 'html' link was so that
you could 'skim' to see what you would be getting in 'pdf' download.

redhat and fedora, for specific distribution.

for future help and assistance, i would suggest you set your gmail to
send 'text/plain' emails. there are several knowledged subscribers who
send 'text/html' directly to trash and never see such post.

to 'joe zeff',

> Most of that 10K of text wasn't the links. Quoting them, and only them
> would have been sufficient.

who the hell died and made you list moderator.
[that is a comment, not a question.]

'linux tyro' is new to this email tech support list and may well have
come from a ms os newsgroup, where they have a habit of not trimming.

as for "Most of that 10K of text wasn't the links", and you are referring
to my sig and do not like my sig, tfb & kafba.

my sig has brought many 'off list' "thank you"s from subscribers of this
tsl and several other linux tsl's, who have found them very useful,
informative and appreciate my having it.

my sig has also converted many ms os users to linux by giving them
information on where they could get good information to learn linux.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/14/2011 01:34 PM, g wrote:
> who the hell died and made you list moderator.
> [that is a comment, not a question.]

What ever made you think that only a list's moderator is permitted to
ask members of the list to observe common netiquette, or to trim
redundant material from their replies? And no, I wasn't referring to
your .sig, I was referring to the long quote ABOVE the links which had
no reason being in your reply.