Old 03-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Alan Cox

Default FC8 and Netgear FA311

> sold me a Netgear FA311v2, assuring me it was supported by Linux. So the
> 'Net appears to confirm with a number of people saying that it was working

It is and it just works. Driver is rtl8139+ or 8139too depending on chip
version.

> What does the team think ?

Dud card ? not plugged in properly ?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Alan Cox

> > Dud card ? not plugged in properly ?
> Could one RTL chipset be masking the other?

No. See my previous question. Check with lspci. If lspci doesn't show the
card then its either dud or not properly fitted

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Jonathan Allen

Alan,

> It is and it just works. Driver is rtl8139+ or 8139too depending on chip
> version.
>
> Dud card ? not plugged in properly ?

I have spent some time looking through the boot logs to see if the card
is detected, but I see no sign of it. I get the message:

pnpacpi: exceeded the max number of mem resources. Max: 12 Found: 12

Other than that the on-board chip signs on as:

r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.2LK-NAPI loaded
eth0: RTL98168b/8111b at 0xf89ce000, 00:1c:25:69:ee:07, XID 38500000 IRQ 220

Could one RTL chipset be masking the other?

Jonathan

Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 16:02 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Dud card ? not plugged in properly ?
> > Could one RTL chipset be masking the other?
>
> No. See my previous question. Check with lspci. If lspci doesn't show the
> card then its either dud or not properly fitted

He might want to disable the onboard ethernet in the bios, just to see
what happens. It's an easy enough check to do. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Jonathan Allen

Ric,

> He might want to disable the onboard ethernet in the bios, just to see
> what happens. It's an easy enough check to do. Ric

Disabling the on-board ethernet and at the same time moving the card to
the second free PCI slot did nothing (except lose all ethernet). Re-enabling
the on-board ethernet and restoring the FA311 to its original slot brought
both into action, so I now have two correctly functioning ethernet ports.

Jonathan

Old 03-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 10:14 +0000, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Ric,
>
> > He might want to disable the onboard ethernet in the bios, just to see
> > what happens. It's an easy enough check to do. Ric
>
> Disabling the on-board ethernet and at the same time moving the card to
> the second free PCI slot did nothing (except lose all ethernet). Re-enabling
> the on-board ethernet and restoring the FA311 to its original slot brought
> both into action, so I now have two correctly functioning ethernet ports.

Great! Once in a blue moon, I had to remove my old soundblaster card,
boot up, boot down again, replace the card, then re-boot. For whatever
reason, it worked just peachy. IRQ issue or me fudging something up,
doing that procedure put things to rights. I'll take dumb-luck anyday!!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 00:51 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Once in a blue moon, I had to remove my old soundblaster card,
> boot up, boot down again, replace the card, then re-boot. For whatever
> reason, it worked just peachy. IRQ issue or me fudging something up,
> doing that procedure put things to rights.

Quite likely that you have a poor edge connector plug and socket issue.
Next time you take it out, try cleaning the contacts properly, and see
if that improves things.

Another problem can be related - boxes that aren't very rigid, and they
pull the cards out when they change shape.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.