Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Bryce Hardy

Default Bios boot partition question

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> All excellent questions which I would have thought deserved at least
> a bit of text in the release notes rather than just firing a barrel
> full of acronyms at you :-).

Even worse, the official Installation Guide for F16 doesn't even
mention this issue at all! Not even in the chapter about Recommended
Partitioning. It appears to be just continued word for word from the
previous release. I downloaded the Installation Guide specifically to
be able to read about this in more detail, but alas that's not
possible.

--
Bryce Hardy

Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 13 November 2011 19:24:19 Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:11:03 +0000 Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Now, I gather from the text above that the boot partition is necessary
> > only for "non-EFI" systems with a "GPT-labelled" disk. What does this
> > mean? How can I check whether my system is EFI or no, and whether the
> > disk is using GPT labels or not?
>
> All excellent questions which I would have thought deserved at least
> a bit of text in the release notes rather than just firing a barrel
> full of acronyms at you :-).

Yes, that's exactly how I felt when I read that... ;-)

> Basically though, if you are using an existing disk that is
> already partitioned, you don't have a GPT disk. Apparently
> GPT is a brand new partitioning scheme that breaks free of
> the old DOS scheme (and is necessary to take advantage of
> the disks bigger than 2TB that are getting common these days).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Ah, ok, this was useful to read, thanks! :-)

> If you actually needed a bios boot partition and didn't make
> one, your system would not boot (I know from experience :-).

Ok, so the bottomline in my case is that I have an ordinary 120 GB disk which
was previously already partitioned in old-style MBR fashion, so it can also
boot the "old way" and doesn't require the bios boot partition. Also, I have
nothing to worry about for the future, unless I migrate to a disk bigger than
2 TB (which is not going to happen soon on this laptop...).

Ok, that settles that. Thanks for clarifying.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/14/2011 05:54 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:11:03 +0000
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>
>> Now, I gather from the text above that the boot partition is necessary only
>> for "non-EFI" systems with a "GPT-labelled" disk. What does this mean? How can
>> I check whether my system is EFI or no, and whether the disk is using GPT
>> labels or not?
>
> All excellent questions which I would have thought deserved at least
> a bit of text in the release notes rather than just firing a barrel
> full of acronyms at you :-).

Sure. File a bug report and someone can help fix that. Documentation
team would love to get more people contributing. It is bit more work
than being sarcastic but the pay off is higher.

Rahul

Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:44:11PM -0800, Bryce Hardy wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> > All excellent questions which I would have thought deserved at least
> > a bit of text in the release notes rather than just firing a barrel
> > full of acronyms at you :-).

> Even worse, the official Installation Guide for F16 doesn't even
> mention this issue at all! Not even in the chapter about Recommended
> Partitioning. It appears to be just continued word for word from the
> previous release. I downloaded the Installation Guide specifically to
> be able to read about this in more detail, but alas that's not
> possible.

Agreed. And worser still: no mention is made of 'installation roulette'.

If you do a clean install using the whole disk with the default GPT
partioning scheme your BIOS might refuse to start the bootloader.
This is something that should not happen very often but it does.
I have encountered it on a Dell Vostro 3750, and on Lenovo Thinkpads
T121e en T520.
This can be evaded by using the 'nogpt' kernel option but no mention
is made of this (or in the case of the Lenovo's evaded by doing an UEFI
install).

NB The problem was encountered with the Lenovo's in the last days
before the final release, see bugzilla 735733 for example.

I think not enough time as taken to think through the whole
installation business (grub2, gpt, uefi) and to produce a coherent
Installation Guide and a better adapted anaconda.

Alexander