Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM
antonio montagnani

Default USB printer discovery

I have an USB laser printer (Samsung ML-1610): should it be discovered
by Fedora? how long does it take the discovery process??
Manual set-up work flawlessly.

Tnx
--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com
http://www.studiodacolpaloschi.it

Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Tim Waugh

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 23:13 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
> I have an USB laser printer (Samsung ML-1610): should it be discovered
> by Fedora? how long does it take the discovery process??
> Manual set-up work flawlessly.

In general, USB printers should be discovered and automatically
configured in Fedora. It can take up to a couple of minutes to do this.
The reason it is slow is that the foomatic printer driver database takes
a very long time to load (but work is in the pipeline to speed this up).

For the Samsung ML-1610 specifically however, there is no driver we can
ship which drives it.
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-ML-1610

Tim.
*/

Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Antonio M

2011/11/14 Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>:
> On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 23:13 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
>> I have an USB laser printer (Samsung ML-1610): should it be *discovered
>> by Fedora? how long does it take the discovery process??
>> Manual set-up work *flawlessly.
>
> In general, USB printers should be discovered and automatically
> configured in Fedora. *It can take up to a couple of minutes to do this.
> The reason it is slow is that the foomatic printer driver database takes
> a very long time to load (but work is in the pipeline to speed this up).
>
> For the Samsung ML-1610 specifically however, there is no driver we can
> ship which drives it.
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-ML-1610
>
> Tim.
> */
>

> --

Tim

why the prinetr is immediately found if I use system-config-printer
and a driver is installed?
It is not important, just for my understanding of how it works
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Tim Waugh

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 12:09 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> why the prinetr is immediately found if I use system-config-printer
> and a driver is installed?

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I hadn't seen the "gdi" driver listed on that
page, but it is there.

The foomatic package provides a PPD for using the gdi driver with this
printer, and that's what's happening here. So the printer *is*
supported in Fedora.

I note you've filed a bug report about the automatic discovery. We'll
follow it up there.

Tim.
*/