Old 11-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Gary Waters

Default Free Space fluctuations - Home directory Weirdness

On 11/13/2011 03:27 PM, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 11/13/2011 02:47 PM, Martin Airs wrote:
>> On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 14:37:06 Gary Waters wrote:
>>>
>>> It's 12.4 KB (12739 bytes)...
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Hmm, the only other thing i can think of is to use the file size view in
>> konqueror to view your home folder, it should be easy to spot the culprit
>>
>> Martin
>>

> That's what I'm doing. This is weird. It has dropped to 67.7 GB free. I
> ran rkhunter for the hell of it...clean. It would seem .cache is
> ballooning... it's gone from 12.4gb to 19 gb in no time at all

The offending file appears to be /home/admin/.cache/tracker/meta.db-wal

What in the name of the sweet lawd jaysus is that? How do I rectify
this? I'm kinda from planet noobie at this level..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 15:38:43 -0500
Gary Waters wrote:

> The offending file appears to be /home/admin/.cache/tracker/meta.db-wal
>
> What in the name of the sweet lawd jaysus is that? How do I rectify
> this? I'm kinda from planet noobie at this level..

running ".cache/tracker/meta.db-wal" through google comes up with some
interesting bug reports.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Martin Airs

On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 15:38:43 Gary Waters wrote:
> The offending file appears to be /home/admin/.cache/tracker/meta.db-wal
>
> What in the name of the sweet lawd jaysus is that? How do I rectify
> this? I'm kinda from planet noobie at this level..

aaah, that tracker thing is like strigi for kde, it indexes all your files for
fast searching i think, The way I stopped it was to yum install tracker-ui-
tools (which isn't installed by) default, and took out the directories it
scans in there, and it doesn't start anymore for me, or you can just get rid
of the relevant .desktop files in /etc/xdg/autostart, but they'll reappear
after updates.

try tracker-ui-tools first and then you'll have a preferences tool to
hopefully shut it off

Martin--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Gary Waters

On 11/13/2011 03:53 PM, Martin Airs wrote:
> On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 15:38:43 Gary Waters wrote:
>> The offending file appears to be /home/admin/.cache/tracker/meta.db-wal
>>
>> What in the name of the sweet lawd jaysus is that? How do I rectify
>> this? I'm kinda from planet noobie at this level..

> aaah, that tracker thing is like strigi for kde, it indexes all your files for
> fast searching i think, The way I stopped it was to yum install tracker-ui-
> tools (which isn't installed by) default, and took out the directories it
> scans in there, and it doesn't start anymore for me, or you can just get rid
> of the relevant .desktop files in /etc/xdg/autostart, but they'll reappear
> after updates.
>
> try tracker-ui-tools first and then you'll have a preferences tool to
> hopefully shut it off
>
> Martin

The weird thing is XFCE is now damaged. The close, maximize, and
minimize buttons are gone in the top right corner and my wallpaper no
longer appears. It has switched back to the default wallpaper. The
taskbar has also changed to a different colour I was using a few weeks
back. I'm not sure how to fix this. Did an update cause this?

I removed tracker and I'm presently working in KDE...