Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Martin Airs

Default Free Space fluctuations - Home directory Weirdness

On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 14:24:12 Gary Waters wrote:
> I am using Fedora 15. This Am when I opened up firefox and went to my
> online banking I noticed my saved user profile was gone. When I went to
> the weather channel's site my firefox security kept asking me for my
> main password, which was weird since that never happened before.
>
> I also noticed the computer was rather sluggish and seemed to be
> swapping a lot. Eventually I got a warning popup saying my home
> directory had 714K free space. I started to free up space. When I got to
> 18GB free space I then noticed that in a very little time frame the free
> space dropped to 6.9GB free.
>
> I then rebooted a few times and immediately after each reboot I noticed
> my home directory had 79GB free. This drops rather quickly with in
> minutes. I'd drop from 79GB free to 71GB free in under 5 minutes...
>
> What the heck is going on?

sounds like a log file going haywire to me, check the size of your
~/.xsession-errors file

Martin--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Gary Waters

On 11/13/2011 02:33 PM, Martin Airs wrote:
> On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 14:24:12 Gary Waters wrote:
>> I am using Fedora 15. This Am when I opened up firefox and went to my
>> online banking I noticed my saved user profile was gone. When I went to
>> the weather channel's site my firefox security kept asking me for my
>> main password, which was weird since that never happened before.
>>
>> I also noticed the computer was rather sluggish and seemed to be
>> swapping a lot. Eventually I got a warning popup saying my home
>> directory had 714K free space. I started to free up space. When I got to
>> 18GB free space I then noticed that in a very little time frame the free
>> space dropped to 6.9GB free.
>>
>> I then rebooted a few times and immediately after each reboot I noticed
>> my home directory had 79GB free. This drops rather quickly with in
>> minutes. I'd drop from 79GB free to 71GB free in under 5 minutes...
>>
>> What the heck is going on?

> sounds like a log file going haywire to me, check the size of your
> ~/.xsession-errors file
>
> Martin

It's 12.4 KB (12739 bytes)...

Any other suggestions?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Martin Airs

On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 14:37:06 Gary Waters wrote:

> It's 12.4 KB (12739 bytes)...
>
> Any other suggestions?

Hmm, the only other thing i can think of is to use the file size view in
konqueror to view your home folder, it should be easy to spot the culprit

Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 11/13/2011 02:37 PM, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 11/13/2011 02:33 PM, Martin Airs wrote:
>> On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 14:24:12 Gary Waters wrote:
>>> I am using Fedora 15. This Am when I opened up firefox and went to my
>>> online banking I noticed my saved user profile was gone. When I went to
>>> the weather channel's site my firefox security kept asking me for my
>>> main password, which was weird since that never happened before.
>>>
>>> I also noticed the computer was rather sluggish and seemed to be
>>> swapping a lot. Eventually I got a warning popup saying my home
>>> directory had 714K free space. I started to free up space. When I got to
>>> 18GB free space I then noticed that in a very little time frame the free
>>> space dropped to 6.9GB free.
>>>
>>> I then rebooted a few times and immediately after each reboot I noticed
>>> my home directory had 79GB free. This drops rather quickly with in
>>> minutes. I'd drop from 79GB free to 71GB free in under 5 minutes...
>>>
>>> What the heck is going on?

>> sounds like a log file going haywire to me, check the size of your
>> ~/.xsession-errors file
>>
>> Martin
>>

> It's 12.4 KB (12739 bytes)...
>
> Any other suggestions?
There is a command line utility that might help you find the offending file.

Try this: cd
try this: du -k | less

/(_)
^ ^ Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Gary Waters

On 11/13/2011 02:47 PM, Martin Airs wrote:
> On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 14:37:06 Gary Waters wrote:
>>
>> It's 12.4 KB (12739 bytes)...
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>
> Hmm, the only other thing i can think of is to use the file size view in
> konqueror to view your home folder, it should be easy to spot the culprit
>
> Martin

That's what I'm doing. This is weird. It has dropped to 67.7 GB free. I
ran rkhunter for the hell of it...clean. It would seem .cache is
ballooning... it's gone from 12.4gb to 19 gb in no time at all