Old 03-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Jonathan Allen

Default FC8 and Netgear FA311

Hi All,

I have a new machine with an Intel dual core and integrated motherboard
networking - a Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller.
FC8 sees this fine and is working it hard to pull in all the updates and
additional software.

However, I need a second networking card on this machine and the salesman
sold me a Netgear FA311v2, assuring me it was supported by Linux. So the
'Net appears to confirm with a number of people saying that it was working
for them. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be working for me. It wasn't found
at install time, so I have tried adding it in Network Configuration. The
chip on the card is an RTL8139, so I tried that (RTL8139, SMC EZ Card Fast
Ethernet) but it says:

8139too device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialisation

Some of the messages on fedoraforum (although rather old, 2004) suggested
using the 'natsemi' driver, but that produces the same error.

The card is plugged into one of the two free PIC slots and if you plug a
network cable into it, one of the LEDs lights up green.

There doesn't seem to be another suitable candidate in the "Other Ethernet"
option in the "New" sequence. Under the title "Select Ethernet Adapter",
and the drop-down list "Adapter" there aren't any Netgear devices listed
and I'm not sure how to move forward.

What does the team think ?

Jonathan