Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Jonathan Ryshpan

Default Little Yellow Boxes

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 17:05 +0000, Martin Airs wrote:
> On Saturday 12 Nov 2011 18:40:20 Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > Ever since my upgrade to Fedora-16, whenever I center click on the
> > background of KDE running the activity "Search and Launch" I get a small
> > yellow box at the bottom of the screen, just above the panel. Does
> > anyone know what these boxes are (i.e. what application they are
> > associated with), or how to get rid of them. They appear to be part of
> > some kind of note system; right clicking them gives an editing menu; the
> > color is the same as a box generated by knotes. Because I have a slight
> > tremor in my fingers, I have now accumulated 22 of these boxes and 2
> > small small Konqueror icons (where these came from is a total mystery),
> > all of which I would like to get rid of. KDE version is 4.7.2.
> >
> > An image is attached.
> >
> > Thanks for your help - jon
>
> They are little "post it" notes, in your desktop settings under "mouse
> actions" your middle mouse button is set to "paste", so when you middle click
> on the desktop it pastes the current clip board contents into a "post it" note

I thought as much.

> depending on whats in your clip board at the time it should ask if you want to
> add a note or a webslice or an image.

That too.

> anyway, just disable the paste option from your middle click button in desktop
> settings, then just delete the notes as any other plasmoid widget

Center click is one of my favorite tools, so I don't want to disable it
right now.

Deleting a note isn't so easy; there's been a fair amount of discussion
on the web about how to remove widgets, none of it informative. I would
have thought that if a note is right clicked, a menu would appear with
an option to delete the note. When I right click one of these notes a
menu does appear with many options for editing the note, but no option
to delete it. An ordinary note is larger and has a border at the
bottom, which when right clicked produces a option to delete it.

Further advice is solicited.

Thanks very much - jon

Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Martin Airs

On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 09:56:32 Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Deleting a note isn't so easy; there's been a fair amount of discussion
> on the web about how to remove widgets, none of it informative. I would
> have thought that if a note is right clicked, a menu would appear with
> an option to delete the note. When I right click one of these notes a
> menu does appear with many options for editing the note, but no option
> to delete it. An ordinary note is larger and has a border at the
> bottom, which when right clicked produces a option to delete it.
>
> Further advice is solicited.
>
> Thanks very much - jon

with widgets unlocked, these notes should have a semi transparent border
appear around them when you hover your mouse over them, and should have the
usual resize, rotate and delete icons in it.

it maybe that they're too small to produce the border, or maybe the border
does show up but too small to display it all correctly, can you resize them at
least??

Martin--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 18:38 +0000, Martin Airs wrote:
> On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 09:56:32 Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > Deleting a note isn't so easy; there's been a fair amount of discussion
> > on the web about how to remove widgets, none of it informative. I would
> > have thought that if a note is right clicked, a menu would appear with
> > an option to delete the note. When I right click one of these notes a
> > menu does appear with many options for editing the note, but no option
> > to delete it. An ordinary note is larger and has a border at the
> > bottom, which when right clicked produces a option to delete it.

> with widgets unlocked, these notes should have a semi transparent border
> appear around them when you hover your mouse over them, and should have the
> usual resize, rotate and delete icons in it.

No such border exists.

> it maybe that they're too small to produce the border, or maybe the border
> does show up but too small to display it all correctly, can you resize them at
> least??

These little windows can't be resized or moved. Windows generated by
using the menu got by right or center clicking the Knote icon in the
tray have a partial border at the top which can be used to drag them,
can be resized, and a partial border at the bottom which generates a
menu when right clicked that has a function that deletes them (among
others). An image of a normal Knote window is attached.

Interestingly, the "Find" option got by right clicking the Knote icon in
the tray finds text in normal Knote windows but not in the little boxes
at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for all your help - jon

Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Joe Zeff

On 11/13/2011 01:01 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> These little windows can't be resized or moved.

This sounds like a KDE-specific issue. Have you checked their support
forum for suggestions?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 00:04 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/13/2011 01:01 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > These little windows can't be resized or moved.

> This sounds like a KDE-specific issue. Have you checked their support
> forum for suggestions?

Thanks. I have done so.

jon