Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Michael Hannon

Default Problems with DNS name server in Fedora 16

Greetings.* I just installed Fedora 16 (x86_64) on my home computer today.
Not an altogether pleasant experience so far, I must say.

I've got one issue in particular that's really puzzling me.* I use my linux
box as a nameserver for a few other computers at our house, just to save
myself the trouble of copying /etc/hosts files.

I've got a very simple DNS configuration that worked well in Fedora 15.* I
added the statement:

*** controls {};

to the end of /etc/named.conf to disable what appears to be a new feature
(rndc).* Otherwise, everything is the same as in Fedora 15, so far as I'm
aware.

Here's an example of the puzzling thing:

*** $ ping compute-server
*** ping: unknown host
compute-server

*** $ ssh compute-server
*** ssh: Could not resolve hostname compute-server: Name or service not known

*** $ host compute-server
*** compute-server.my.lan has address 192.168.1.72
*** $

(I've made my Fedora box authoritative for the domain "my.lan". I get the same
results if I use the FQDN in the above examples.)

I.e., the "host" utility CAN resolve the name, as can the "dig" utility (not
shown in the examples), but other utilities, such as "ping" and "ssh" cannot
resolve the name.

Perhaps even stranger, if I go to one of the other machines in our house,
e.g.:

*** ssh 192.168.1.72

the utilities such as "ping" and "ssh" on the remote system DO resolve our
local names successfully, even though the remote system is using my Fedora box
as the nameserver!

If you can help,
please do so.

Thanks,

-- Mike

Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

On 11/13/11 00:29, Michael Hannon wrote:
> Greetings. I just installed Fedora 16 (x86_64) on my home computer today.
> Not an altogether pleasant experience so far, I must say.
>
> I've got one issue in particular that's really puzzling me. I use my
> linux
> box as a nameserver for a few other computers at our house, just to save
> myself the trouble of copying /etc/hosts files.
>
> I've got a very simple DNS configuration that worked well in Fedora 15. I
> added the statement:
>
> controls {};
>
> to the end of /etc/named.conf to disable what appears to be a new feature
> (rndc). Otherwise, everything is the same as in Fedora 15, so far as I'm
> aware.
>
> Here's an example of the puzzling thing:
>
> $ ping compute-server
> ping: unknown host compute-server
>
> $ ssh compute-server
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname compute-server: Name or service
> not known
>
> $ host compute-server
> compute-server.my.lan has address 192.168.1.72
> $
>
> (I've made my Fedora box authoritative for the domain "my.lan". I get
> the same
> results if I use the FQDN in the above examples.)
>
> I.e., the "host" utility CAN resolve the name, as can the "dig"
> utility (not
> shown in the examples), but other utilities, such as "ping" and "ssh"
> cannot
> resolve the name.
>
> Perhaps even stranger, if I go to one of the other machines in our house,
> e.g.:
>
> ssh 192.168.1.72
>
> the utilities such as "ping" and "ssh" on the remote system DO resolve our
> local names successfully, even though the remote system is using my
> Fedora box
> as the nameserver!
>
> If you can help, please do so.
Check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf on the main system. It probably
isn't referencing itself
but whatever nameserver your ISP provides. As an example, it should
probably look like:

search my.lan
nameserver 192.168.1.72
nameserver <isp.dns.server>

Resolv.conf gets rewritten every time the net initializes, so you may
want to:
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

to make it immutable. (Remember to chattr -i if you nned to edit it later.)

Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Michael Hannon

>> Greetings.* I just installed Fedora 16 (x86_64) on my home computer today.
>> Not an altogether pleasant experience so far, I must say.
>>
>> I've got one issue in particular that's really puzzling me.

[...]

>> I.e., the "host" utility CAN resolve the name, as can the "dig"
>> utility (not shown in the examples), but other utilities, such as
>> "ping" and "ssh" cannot resolve the name.

[...]

> Check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf on the main system.* It probably
> isn't referencing itself but whatever nameserver your ISP provides.* As
> an example, it should probably look like:
>
>**** search my.lan
>**** nameserver 192.168.1.72
>****
nameserver <isp.dns.server>

Very good suggestion.* In fact, my resolv.conf DID have an entry for my
system, but it was in reverse order.* I.e., to use your example, it was:

**** search my.lan
**** nameserver <isp.dns.server>
**** nameserver 192.168.1.72

I don't understand why the resolver didn't fall through to the second
nameserver, but it evidently did not.* After I put the nameservers in the
order you suggest, everything seems to be working fine!

> Resolv.conf gets rewritten every time the net initializes, so you may
> want to:
>**** chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
>
> to make it immutable. (Remember to chattr -i* if you nned to edit it
> later.)

Another good suggestion.* I had forgotten about the immutable attribute.* I've
set it now.* (It's a
safe bet that in six months or so I'll be sending a note
to the list, whining about how I can't edit resolv.conf ;-)

Thanks for your help.

-- Mike

Old 11-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:26:12 -0800 (PST)
Michael Hannon wrote:

> I don't understand why the resolver didn't fall through to the second
> nameserver, but it evidently did not.* After I put the nameservers in the
> order you suggest, everything seems to be working fine!

Because the multiple servers are only good for
the first server failing. Once the first server
says "I know there isn't any such name defined",
it doesn't ask the 2nd server.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/13/2011 12:26 AM, Michael Hannon wrote:
> Another good suggestion. I had forgotten about the immutable
> attribute. I've
> set it now. (It's a safe bet that in six months or so I'll be sending a
> note
> to the list, whining about how I can't edit resolv.conf ;-)

Suggestion: take off the immutable bit, now, add a comment saying that
it's immutable (and why) then re-run chatter +i so that next time you
need to edit it, you'll have a reminder inside the file.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Michael Hannon

>> Another good suggestion.* I had forgotten about the immutable attribute.
>> I've set it now.* (It's a safe bet that in six months or so I'll be sending
>> a note to the list, whining about how I can't edit resolv.conf ;-)

> Suggestion: take off the immutable bit, now, add a comment saying that it's
> immutable (and why) then re-run chatter +i so that next time you need to
> edit it, you'll have a reminder inside the file.

Yet another good idea, and now implemented.* Thanks.

-- Mike

Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Michael Hannon

>> I don't understand why the resolver didn't fall through to the second
>> nameserver, but it evidently did not.* After I put the nameservers in the
>> order you suggest, everything seems to be working fine!

> Because the multiple servers are only good for the first server failing.
> Once the first server says "I know there isn't any such name defined", it
> doesn't ask the 2nd server.

Yep, that makes perfect sense.* Thanks, Tom.

-- Mike

Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 00:26 -0800, Michael Hannon wrote:
> In fact, my resolv.conf DID have an entry for my system, but it was in
> reverse order. I.e., to use your example, it was:
>
> search my.lan
> nameserver <isp.dns.server>
> nameserver 192.168.1.72
>
> I don't understand why the resolver didn't fall through to the second
> nameserver, but it evidently did not. After I put the nameservers in
> the order you suggest, everything seems to be working fine!

Because the first one *did* answer, just not with the answer that you
wanted. The second server is only going to queried if there's no
response from the first.

And then, you'll probably find, that every time there's a query, it
always asks the first listed server, first. Logical, but up to a point.
If the first server hasn't responded once, within the ample amount of
time before a timeout occurs, it's probably not going to answer next
time.

So, if you ever find that name resolution keeps on taking an absolute
ages to resolve, chances are that your first name server doesn't work.

Another OS doesn't do that. If the first one doesn't answer, and the
next one does, then subsequent queries go to the same server that
worked, last time, rather than crawl down the list, again.

I don't think Linux works like that, but it's ages since I messed with
failing DNS server to remember.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Genes MailLists

One option is simply to have all your hosts use your own DNS server.
You may want to run a second slave server.

Now you will be authoritative for your internal domain and it will
answer for outside zones as well - very probably faster than your ISP
anyway.

gene