Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Chris G

Default why is fedora/npviewer.bin crippling my system?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 06:26:44AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> it's always been bad but now it's gotten worse -- over the last few
> weeks, the combination of firefox and npviewer.bin is just crushing my
> machine in terms of response.
>
> "top" shows that the combo of those two programs is regularly
> chewing up from 100 to 150 per cent of my CPU (if not more). is this
> normal? is this what others are seeing? because if firefox 3 turns
> out to be the same kind of processor hog, it's going to be time to
> dump firefox for good.

"100 to 150 per cent of my CPU", doesn't make a lot of sense, are you
sure it means what you think it means?

--
Chris Green

Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Jeff Voskamp

Chris G wrote:

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 06:26:44AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

it's always been bad but now it's gotten worse -- over the last few
weeks, the combination of firefox and npviewer.bin is just crushing my
machine in terms of response.

"top" shows that the combo of those two programs is regularly
chewing up from 100 to 150 per cent of my CPU (if not more). is this
normal? is this what others are seeing? because if firefox 3 turns
out to be the same kind of processor hog, it's going to be time to
dump firefox for good.

"100 to 150 per cent of my CPU", doesn't make a lot of sense, are you
sure it means what you think it means?

It makes sense if you have hyperthreading or a multi-core system.
Top gives processor percentages in terms of a single processor, so on a
busy multicore machine you can hit 300-400% CPU.

Jeff Voskamp

Old 03-23-2008, 10:30 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Jeff Voskamp wrote:

> Chris G wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 06:26:44AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > > it's always been bad but now it's gotten worse -- over the last few
> > > weeks, the combination of firefox and npviewer.bin is just crushing my
> > > machine in terms of response.
> > >
> > > "top" shows that the combo of those two programs is regularly
> > > chewing up from 100 to 150 per cent of my CPU (if not more). is this
> > > normal? is this what others are seeing? because if firefox 3 turns
> > > out to be the same kind of processor hog, it's going to be time to
> > > dump firefox for good.
> > >

> > "100 to 150 per cent of my CPU", doesn't make a lot of sense, are you
> > sure it means what you think it means?
> >
> It makes sense if you have hyperthreading or a multi-core system.
> Top gives processor percentages in terms of a single processor, so on a busy
> multicore machine you can hit 300-400% CPU.

precisely.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 14
model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 1733.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
bogomips : 3461.30
clflush size : 64

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 14
model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor est tm2 xtpr
bogomips : 8506.86
clflush size : 64

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Have classroom, will lecture.

http://crashcourse.ca Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 06:26:44 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> it's always been bad but now it's gotten worse -- over the last few
> weeks, the combination of firefox and npviewer.bin is just crushing my
> machine in terms of response.

Is npviewer.bin the nspluginwrapper helper program? (I can't remember
the name). If so, then yes, I saw the same thing (depending on which
plugin happened to do what) till I removed the nspluginwrapper
from my system.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:02 PM
hicham

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 06:26:44 -0400 (EDT)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> > it's always been bad but now it's gotten worse -- over the last few
> > weeks, the combination of firefox and npviewer.bin is just crushing my
> > machine in terms of response.
>
> Is npviewer.bin the nspluginwrapper helper program? (I can't remember
> the name). If so, then yes, I saw the same thing (depending on which
> plugin happened to do what) till I removed the nspluginwrapper
> from my system.

what you can do is get rid of firefox.x86_64 and npluginwrapper
and install instead firefox.i386

hicham

Old 03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, hicham wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 06:26:44 -0400 (EDT)
> > "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > it's always been bad but now it's gotten worse -- over the last few
> > > weeks, the combination of firefox and npviewer.bin is just crushing my
> > > machine in terms of response.
> >
> > Is npviewer.bin the nspluginwrapper helper program? (I can't remember
> > the name). If so, then yes, I saw the same thing (depending on which
> > plugin happened to do what) till I removed the nspluginwrapper
> > from my system.
> >

> what you can do is get rid of firefox.x86_64 and npluginwrapper
> and install instead firefox.i386

this *is* on a 32-bit system.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
"Tom Horsley"

> this *is* on a 32-bit system.

Yea, but on fedora 8 they still install a 32 bit nspluginwrapper
by default (I guess the theory is that selinux can be more
paranoid about the plugin helper than it can about all of firefox).

Removing (via yum erase) the plugin wrapper helped me (though I seem
to have found some flash apps that infinite loop anyway, even when
running without the wrapper, but it seems to happen a lot more
frequently with the wrapper).

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On Monday 24 March 2008 12:04:06 pm Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> this *is* on a 32-bit system.

I can confirm the SAME behaviour as the OP (running FC8 on i386). My
CPU is Pentium 4 (3.0 Ghz) and when I have Firefox with a couple of tabs open
npviewer eats my system.

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one with this...

Jorge

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 23/03/2008, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> it's always been bad but now it's gotten worse -- over the last few
> weeks, the combination of firefox and npviewer.bin is just crushing my
> machine in terms of response.
>
> "top" shows that the combo of those two programs is regularly
> chewing up from 100 to 150 per cent of my CPU (if not more). is this
> normal? is this what others are seeing? because if firefox 3 turns
> out to be the same kind of processor hog, it's going to be time to
> dump firefox for good.

Do you have the adobe acrobat reader installed? I saw something
similar to what you describe when i installed that. Removing it again
fixed it.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Jorge Fábregas

On Monday 24 March 2008 06:59:36 pm Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> I can confirm the SAME behaviour as the OP (running FC8 on i386). My
> CPU is Pentium 4 (3.0 Ghz) and when I have Firefox with a couple of tabs
> open npviewer eats my system.

I admit I was a bit lazy with this (investigating this). I now removed
nspluginwrapper and I'm a happy camper (didn't know It wasn't necessary at
all in my case). Everything is smooth now (page renderings containing flash
video...).

Jorge