Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Tom Horsley

Default More stuff doesn't work at boot.

I've been configuring my f16 partition to make it my primary
system, and I now have the following set of lines in my
/etc/rc.d/rc.local script in order to get things to actually
work correctly after a reboot:

/bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; service stunnel restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
/bin/bash -c 'sleep 7 ; service postfix restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
/bin/bash -c 'sleep 9 ; service httpd restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &

I sure look forward to the day systemd can actually figure out
when the network is functional :-).

Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Steven Stern

On 11/12/2011 01:30 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've been configuring my f16 partition to make it my primary
> system, and I now have the following set of lines in my
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local script in order to get things to actually
> work correctly after a reboot:
>
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; service stunnel restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 7 ; service postfix restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 9 ; service httpd restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
>
> I sure look forward to the day systemd can actually figure out
> when the network is functional :-).

httpd is currently broken. Update mod_perl from updates-testing

--
-- Steve

Old 11-12-2011, 11:30 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been configuring my f16 partition to make it my primary
> system, and I now have the following set of lines in my
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local script in order to get things to actually
> work correctly after a reboot:
>
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; service stunnel restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 7 ; service postfix restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 9 ; service httpd restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
>
> I sure look forward to the day systemd can actually figure out
> when the network is functional :-).

Are you using NetworkManager? The default configuration assumes NM
users have the type of connections that aren't always around, and
therefore systemd doesn't wait around for the link to be actually up,
because for many NM users, that could be never. (Most people with
persistent connections use ifcfg scripts instead, and systemd will
wait for the link to be up in that case.)

To make systemd wait for the the connection to be online, simply
enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service:
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

-T.C.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Tom Horsley

> > I sure look forward to the day systemd can actually figure out
> > when the network is functional :-).
>
> Are you using NetworkManager?

Nope, I have to use network because I need to setup a bridge which
NetworkManager still doesn't support.

> To make systemd wait for the the connection to be online, simply
> enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service:
> systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

If I'm not using NetworkManager, why would I enable a service
with NetworkManager in the name? :-).

Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I sure look forward to the day systemd can actually figure out
>> > when the network is functional :-).
>>
>> Are you using NetworkManager?
>
> Nope, I have to use network because I need to setup a bridge which
> NetworkManager still doesn't support.

That's very strange. /etc/init.d/network shouldn't exit until the
link is up. Have you filed a bug?

-T.C.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:10:46 -0700
T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> That's very strange. /etc/init.d/network shouldn't exit until the
> link is up. Have you filed a bug?

Actually, I think I have just figured out that the alternatives
program doesn't include anything to switch the sendmail service
to the postfix service at boot time, so that may be my real problem
with postfix. I used alternatives to switch the mail agent to
postfix, but I didn't disable sendmail and enable postfix services.

I'll fix that and comment out the postfix entry in rc.local and see
if it helps.

There have been other bug reports already about httpd.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Fedora User

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:30:16 -0500
Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> I sure look forward to the day systemd can actually figure out
> when the network is functional :-).

Frankly, I would be very happy to regress to SysV.