FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Fedora User
 
Default SystemD - F-16

I've been doing this since RH 7.3. I'm an old fart and I don't do change
well. There are 49 SystemD man pages. Each one is more esoteric than the
Talmud. Seriously. "Chkconfig" made perfect sense to me. I just need one
example to figure it all out.

If I want squid to start in L-5 but not L-3. What do I do?

Thanks
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Fedora User <fedoradch@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been doing this since RH 7.3. I'm an old fart and I don't do change
> well. There are 49 SystemD man pages. Each one is more esoteric than the
> Talmud. Seriously. "Chkconfig" made perfect sense to me. I just need one
> example to figure it all out.
>
> If I want squid to start in L-5 but not L-3. What do I do?

systemd replaces numerical runlevels with named "targets". Apart from
that, it works very similar to how chkconfig works under the hood.
"chkconfig --level 3 squid off" essentially just does "rm
/etc/rc3.d/squid". "chkconfig --level 5 squid on" just translates to
"ln -sf /etc/init.d/squid /etc/rc5.d/". The systemd way is very
similar:

rm -f /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/squid.service
ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/squid.service
/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/
systemctl daemon-reload

The "graphical" target is the equivalent of runlevel 5 in sysvinit,
and it starts a display manager, while the "multi-user" target is the
equivalent of runlevel 3, bringing you to a tty. So, the above
commands first disables squid in multi-user.target, and the second
enables squid in graphical.target. The final command informs systemd
of the change.

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Genes MailLists
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On 11/11/2011 09:27 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

>
> systemd replaces numerical runlevels with named "targets". Apart from
> that, it works very similar to how chkconfig works under the hood.
> "chkconfig --level 3 squid off" essentially just does "rm
> /etc/rc3.d/squid". "chkconfig --level 5 squid on" just translates to
> "ln -sf /etc/init.d/squid /etc/rc5.d/". The systemd way is very
> similar:
>
> rm -f /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/squid.service
> ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/squid.service
> /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/
> systemctl daemon-reload
>

> -T.C.

Perhaps there is a systemctl option to remove and reset the soft link?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-12-2011, 10:53 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 09:27 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>
>>
>> systemd replaces numerical runlevels with named "targets". *Apart from
>> that, it works very similar to how chkconfig works under the hood.
>> "chkconfig --level 3 squid off" essentially just does "rm
>> /etc/rc3.d/squid". *"chkconfig --level 5 squid on" just translates to
>> "ln -sf /etc/init.d/squid /etc/rc5.d/". *The systemd way is very
>> similar:
>>
>> rm -f /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/squid.service
>> ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/squid.service
>> /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/
>> systemctl daemon-reload
>>
>
>> -T.C.
>
> *Perhaps there is a systemctl option to remove and reset the soft link?

"systemctl disable" and "systemctl reset", respectively.

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Fedora User
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:53:05 -0700
"T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Genes MailLists
> <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
> > On 11/11/2011 09:27 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> systemd replaces numerical runlevels with named "targets". *Apart
> >> from that, it works very similar to how chkconfig works under the
> >> hood. "chkconfig --level 3 squid off" essentially just does "rm
> >> /etc/rc3.d/squid". *"chkconfig --level 5 squid on" just translates
> >> to "ln -sf /etc/init.d/squid /etc/rc5.d/". *The systemd way is very
> >> similar:
> >>
> >> rm -f /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/squid.service
> >> ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/squid.service
> >> /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/
> >> systemctl daemon-reload
> >>
> >
> >> -T.C.
> >
> > *Perhaps there is a systemctl option to remove and reset the soft
> > link?
>
> "systemctl disable" and "systemctl reset", respectively.
>
> -T.C.

Perhaps there is a way to get back to SysV without changing distros ;-)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-13-2011, 04:00 AM
Fedora User
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:27:34 -0700
"T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Fedora User <fedoradch@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I've been doing this since RH 7.3. I'm an old fart and I don't do
> > change well. There are 49 SystemD man pages. Each one is more
> > esoteric than the Talmud. Seriously. "Chkconfig" made perfect sense
> > to me. I just need one example to figure it all out.
> >
> > If I want squid to start in L-5 but not L-3. What do I do?
>
> systemd replaces numerical runlevels with named "targets". Apart from
> that, it works very similar to how chkconfig works under the hood.
> "chkconfig --level 3 squid off" essentially just does "rm
> /etc/rc3.d/squid". "chkconfig --level 5 squid on" just translates to
> "ln -sf /etc/init.d/squid /etc/rc5.d/". The systemd way is very
> similar:
>
> rm -f /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/squid.service
> ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/squid.service
> /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/
> systemctl daemon-reload
>
> The "graphical" target is the equivalent of runlevel 5 in sysvinit,
> and it starts a display manager, while the "multi-user" target is the
> equivalent of runlevel 3, bringing you to a tty. So, the above
> commands first disables squid in multi-user.target, and the second
> enables squid in graphical.target. The final command informs systemd
> of the change.
>
> -T.C.

Thanks. That gives me enough to sort it out. The system does seem to
boot faster but this is really arcane compared to sysV which seemed
very straightforward. Could be just old dog - new trick.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-13-2011, 04:10 AM
Tom Horsley
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:00:13 -0500
Fedora User wrote:

> The system does seem to
> boot faster but this is really arcane compared to sysV which seemed
> very straightforward.

Arcane is the word. One big problem is the complete
lack of anything like chkconfig --list for systemd
services (it would be nice if chkconfig just figured
out how to provide the info and included it).

I got very confused when I apparently forgot to
configure some services when setting up my system,
and a contributor to that confusion was the lack
of a decent query tool that could tell me the
state of both new and old services in one
step.

(I do like how much faster it boots though, especially
during initial setup when I'm often rebooting to
check that things work properly or to go back to
f15 to compare something).
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:10:36 -0500
Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:00:13 -0500
> Fedora User wrote:
>
> > The system does seem to
> > boot faster but this is really arcane compared to sysV which seemed
> > very straightforward.
>
> Arcane is the word. One big problem is the complete
> lack of anything like chkconfig --list for systemd
> services (it would be nice if chkconfig just figured
> out how to provide the info and included it).

Does:

systemctl list-unit-files

give you any of what you are looking for?

kevin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:00:13 -0500
> Fedora User wrote:
>
>> The system does seem to
>> boot faster but this is really arcane compared to sysV which seemed
>> very straightforward.
>
> Arcane is the word. One big problem is the complete
> lack of anything like chkconfig --list for systemd
> services (it would be nice if chkconfig just figured
> out how to provide the info and included it).

Unfortunately, chkconfig itself doesn't translate to systemd well.
However, this thread got me thinking that there is a need for a
chkconfig-like tool for systemd. So, I wrote one:

http://tchol.org/chksystemd/

It uses systemd's DBus interface to provide an equivalent to
"chkconfig --list", and manages the symlinks in /etc/systemd/ much
like chkconfig managed the symlinks in /etc/rc.d. It replicates some
functionality that systemctl provides (in fact, it calls systemctl in
those instances), but does several things systemctl does not.

It does not implement the exact same syntax as chkconfig, for instance
it replaces "--level" with "--target". But, with its slight
deviations, it provides most of the functionality of chkconfig in a
way that fully maps to systemd.

Hopefully some will find it helpful.

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 AM
mike cloaked
 
Default SystemD - F-16

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth
<tchollingsworth@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:00:13 -0500
>> Fedora User wrote:
>>
>>> The system does seem to
>>> boot faster but this is really arcane compared to sysV which seemed
>>> very straightforward.
>>
>> Arcane is the word. One big problem is the complete
>> lack of anything like chkconfig --list for systemd
>> services (it would be nice if chkconfig just figured
>> out how to provide the info and included it).
>
> Unfortunately, chkconfig itself doesn't translate to systemd well.
> However, this thread got me thinking that there is a need for a
> chkconfig-like tool for systemd. *So, I wrote one:
>
> http://tchol.org/chksystemd/
>
> It uses systemd's DBus interface to provide an equivalent to
> "chkconfig --list", and manages the symlinks in /etc/systemd/ much
> like chkconfig managed the symlinks in /etc/rc.d. *It replicates some
> functionality that systemctl provides (in fact, it calls systemctl in
> those instances), but does several things systemctl does not.
>
> It does not implement the exact same syntax as chkconfig, for instance
> it replaces "--level" with "--target". *But, with its slight
> deviations, it provides most of the functionality of chkconfig in a
> way that fully maps to systemd.
>
> Hopefully some will find it helpful.

Whilst we are on the subject can someone tell me what the systemd
equivalent is for the command "service iptables save" ?

Thanks

--
mike c
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org