Old 11-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Nick Urbanik

Default F16 on iMac 27 inch: insufficient partitions

Dear Folks,

Am installing Fedora 16 on my son's iMac 27 inch. The installer wants
an additional 2 MB 'BIOS boot' partition. The only trouble is that I
can only make four primary partitions, and this increases the
required count to five, as far as I can tell. Current partitioning
scheme:

sda1 200 MB EFI System Partition
sda2 20467 MB hfs+ [contains MacOS]
sda3 250 MB ext4 /boot
sda4 748746 MB LVM physical volume

The LVM is partitioned into:
5024 MB swap
50016 MB /
693696 MB /home

The installation will not proceed; the error message box says,

Partitioning Errors
The partitioning scheme you requested caused the following critical
errors

you have not created a bootloader stage 1 target device

You must correct these errors before you continue your installation
of Fedora.

==========

I am using rEFIt. I was not able to create any logical partitions.

Any suggestions here, so that MacOS can still be booted, as well as
Fedora be installed?

I take it this is required for Grub2. I have had Fedora 15 and
earlier running fine on this machine with a similar partitioning
arrangement. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can I tell anaconda to go ahead and install anyway so I can come back
with a rescue disk and install grub 1?
--
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org nicku@nicku.org