Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
mike cloaked

Default Installing Fedora 16 from USB

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Miguel Cardenas <mfcardenas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've download Fedora 16 to install in onto my new notebook that comes with
> no dvd drive... so I used liveusb to create a bootable USB with the ISO...
> It starts the installation but then it says it does not detect a DVD drive
> and it starts to install slowly via internet, so what is the case of
> generate the USB with the installation disk? Or what should I do so it
> installs from the USB?
>
> Thanks for your help

It might be an idea to create a bootable usbkey with the netinst.iso
file rather than the live usb iso, and also have the DVD iso on the
usbkey as well, and then boot to netinst.iso and add a kernel line
parameter of the form repo=hd:deviceath-to-iso where the path-to-iso
points at the DVD iso.

Here "device" might be /dev/sda2 for the usb key or whatever is
relevant to your machine and the path is relative to the root of the
usbkey.

I have not tried it with usbkeys for f16 but it is worth a shot - once
the install is in progress make sure you don't miss the bootloader
section and make sure that you carefully check or set that it will be
written to the hard drive and not the usbkey...... you may need to
switch the bios drive order when you get to that screen in the install
process.
--
mike c

Old 11-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Miguel Cardenas wrote:
> I've download Fedora 16 to install in onto my new notebook that comes
> with no dvd drive... so I used liveusb to create a bootable USB with the
> ISO... It starts the installation but then it says it does not detect a
> DVD drive and it starts to install slowly via internet, so what is the
> case of generate the USB with the installation disk? Or what should I do
> so it installs from the USB?

What size of flash drive were you using? If it was 4GB or smaller you
may not have had space for the DVD ISO on the flash drive, which will
cause the installer to look on the internet for Fedora packages.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Miguel Cardenas

Hi

Thanks, I will try again after it finishes the current internet installation and backup it with clonezilla just to know, if does not work just will restore the bk...

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Miguel Cardenas

It is 8Gb, the iso 3.5Gb, it should be not the problem... it boots but after boot it relases the usb image and continues installation from internet :-/

Take care

Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> If it is a FAT formatted drive, you can not fit the image file in
> any case. FAT has a 2GB file limit. You need to have an ext? file
> system to put the DVD image. (2 partitions on the drive.)

FAT32 has a 4GB (minus 1 byte) limit.

If he used livecd-iso-to-disk --format it would have automatically setup
a ext filesystem.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:55:13 -0600
Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> FAT32 has a 4GB (minus 1 byte) limit.

Then why do files > 2GB always get corrupted when I try to
copy them to a fat32 USB stick?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM
JD

8gb flash usb sticks have come way down in price.
For example:
ADATA AC008-8G-RWE C008 Retractable USB Flash
$7.99

See: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:2633|&Sort=4

Old 11-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/11/2011 12:11 PM, JD wrote:

> See: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:2633|&Sort=4

Cool! Especially if it's 8 GB and not "8 billion bytes." I've been bit
by that one before. A friend of mine got what turned out to be a 16
billion byte drive that wasn't *quite* big enough for the data his boss
needed him to carry. And, of course, if you want it to be really
securely "encrypted," format it to ext4 and nobody running Windows will
be pretty SOOL and MacUsers will have RO access at best.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Friday 11 November 2011 18:44:31 Miguel Cardenas wrote:
> I've download Fedora 16 to install in onto my new notebook that comes with
> no dvd drive... so I used liveusb to create a bootable USB with the ISO...
> It starts the installation but then it says it does not detect a DVD drive
> and it starts to install slowly via internet, so what is the case of
> generate the USB with the installation disk? Or what should I do so it
> installs from the USB?

You probably want the Live CD iso instead of the full DVD iso or the
netinstall iso.

Download a Live CD iso (it's about 700 MB in size, so you won't have problems
with vfat filesystem), and create a bootable USB from that.

Then you boot into the Live environment, and once there click on the "install
to hard disk" icon (there is one at least in KDE version of the Live CD).

I just did it, and it worked perfectly, without using any network, of course.
It took just a couple of minutes to complete (essentially the time it takes to
copy 700 MB from USB to a hard drive...).

HTH :-)
Marko