Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Wolf

Default Need a converter that converts any file (or at least ogg) to mp3

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 01:16 +0100, Danny Strube (danny) wrote:
> hi,
> I need a converter that converts any file to mp3 formats, but every time when I search something in google, than I only get crap or stuff for windows, can anyone help?
> -Danny lee 8-)
>

> --
> This is an email sent via The Fedora Community Portal https://fcp.surfsite.org
> https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=251088&topic_id=54309&forum= 24#forumpost251088
> If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame dannystrube@shaw.ca.

There are two Audio converters that I know of..

1. Audacity
2. audio-convert-mod

Both can be installed via Yum

eg. Yum install audio-convert-mod or
Yum install audacity

Wolf

Old 03-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Les Mikesell

Danny Strube (danny) wrote:

hi,
I need a converter that converts any file to mp3 formats, but every time when I search something in google, than I only get crap or stuff for windows, can anyone help?
-Danny lee 8-)

Sox will convert most formats, but the fedora build probably doesn't
support mp3's so you may have to compile your own.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Antonio Olivares

--- Danny Strube (danny)
<no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org> wrote:

> hi,
> I need a converter that converts any file to mp3
> formats, but every time when I search something in
> google, than I only get crap or stuff for windows,
> can anyone help?
> -Danny lee 8-)
>

> --
> This is an email sent via The Fedora Community
> Portal https://fcp.surfsite.org

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=251088&topic_id=54309&forum= 24#forumpost251088
> If you think, this is spam, please report this to
> webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame
> dannystrube@shaw.ca.
>
> --

Did you look here?

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Audio_conversion

There you will find scripts to change to any format
that is needed/required. There are some prequisites
of course, like mplayer, faad/mpg123 etc. I have used
them and others successfully before. If these ones do
not work for you, do not hesitate to ask for other
scripts that can do the job.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 AM
"Paulo Cavalcanti"

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

Danny Strube (danny) wrote:

> hi,

> I need a converter that converts any file to mp3 formats, but every time when I search something in google, than I only get crap or stuff for windows, can anyone help?

> -Danny lee 8-)

Sox will convert most formats, but the fedora build probably doesn't

support mp3's so you may have to compile your own.

Fedora's sox is almost useless. Not only because of lacking of proprietary plugins,
but even the good ones are not there, such as flac.

If you want a very good tool with a very nice interface go for gnormalize.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 PM
kevin kempter

[...]

Try Lame it's command line based and easy to use. It does all sorts of
audio formatting/conversion/etc