Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Gary Stainburn

Default Monitor hardware RAID on IBM Express x3550 in F14

Hi folks.

I'm using the built in hardware RAID on my server and have had to swap out one
of the mirrored drives. Are there any utilities / methods of monitoring the
hardware RAID while it rebuilds the mirror?

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager

Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Morten Stevens

On 11.11.2011 12:11, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I'm using the built in hardware RAID on my server and have had to
> swap out one
> of the mirrored drives. Are there any utilities / methods of
> monitoring the
> hardware RAID while it rebuilds the mirror?

Hi Gary,

Yes, with the arcconf utility from IBM. (if you have a Serveraid 8k
controller)

See:
http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5073618

Best regards,

Morten

Old 11-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 11:11 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I'm using the built in hardware RAID on my server and have had to swap out one
> of the mirrored drives. Are there any utilities / methods of monitoring the
> hardware RAID while it rebuilds the mirror?
----
that would necessarily have to come from the hardware vendor

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 11/11/2011 01:17 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 11:11 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> I'm using the built in hardware RAID on my server and have had to swap out one
>> of the mirrored drives. Are there any utilities / methods of monitoring the
>> hardware RAID while it rebuilds the mirror?
> ----
> that would necessarily have to come from the hardware vendor
>
> Craig

If it's a serveraid card then some of the RAID status information is
available via ipmi. The ipmi-sensors command (part of freeipmi) should
be able to display drive status and overall RAID error status.

If you don't mind using the vendor's proprietary tools then either IBM's
ServeRAID manager or Adaptec's own raid management tool should work with
these cards.

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Morten Stevens

On 11.11.2011 14:47, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> If it's a serveraid card then some of the RAID status information is
> available via ipmi. The ipmi-sensors command (part of freeipmi)
> should
> be able to display drive status and overall RAID error status.
>
> If you don't mind using the vendor's proprietary tools then either
> IBM's
> ServeRAID manager or Adaptec's own raid management tool should work
> with
> these cards.

We have the same IBM server.

IPMI does not display the raid status.

Only this:

# ipmitool sensor
Drive 1 Status | 0x0 | discrete | 0x0180| na | na
| na | na | na | na
Drive 2 Status | 0x0 | discrete | 0x0180| na | na
| na | na | na | na
Drive 3 Status | 0x0 | discrete | 0x0180| na | na
| na | na | na | na
Drive 4 Status | 0x0 | discrete | 0x0180| na | na
| na | na | na | na
RAID Error | 0x0 | discrete | 0x0080| na | na
| na | na | na | na

Therefore, I recommend the proprietary IBM/Adaptec tools.

Best regards,

Morten