Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Joe Zeff

Default permanently disabling screen blanking in virtual terminals

On 11/10/2011 10:24 AM, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> Ideally, I'd like something that can work in rc.local or when sshed in.
> Am I missing something obvious?

Have you tried putting it in .bashrc?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Andrew McNabb

Joe Zeff wrote:
> Have you tried putting it in .bashrc?

Unfortunately, this only works if a user is logged in. Usually no one
is logged in on this machine, but I need console messages to always be
visible.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/

Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Andrew McNabb

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:24:12AM -0700, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> I have never been able to figure out how to permanently disable screen
> blanking in virtual terminals. Specifically, if I have a machine
> running in runlevel 3, the screen blanks after 5 to 10 minutes, and I
> haven't been able to figure out any way to disable this.

After many years of being mildly irritated about console blanking, I've
finally dug around to figure this out. It turns out that adding
consoleblank=0 to the kernel command-line does the trick. The value can
be viewed at /sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank (unfortunately,
it's read-only, so it seems that you have to reboot to change it).