Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

Default limitations of fedorapeople.org

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:39:17 +0530,
> *Kalpa Welivitigoda <callkalpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> nope, it doesn't download till 50MB. Since the file is more than 50MB,
>> it terminates the download at the very beginning. If the file is less
>> than 50MB only, it gets downloaded.
>
> They'd have to implement some sort of deep packet inspection to know
> this. Do they force https through a proxy? If not, what ever is doing this
> should be able to see the http headers telling what the size is. That might
> let you download stuff until the 50MB limit.
>
> Another approach would be to use range headers in wget to retrieve blocks
> of the ISO in chunks smaller the 50MB.

I thought to this, whether wget supports retrieving specified blocks
of files. But I couldn't find a proper arguments to test that.

--
Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Robert Marcano
<robert@marcanoonline.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 01:49 AM, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
>> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
>> file. I do have my space on fedorapeople.org. Is it allowed to
>> download F16 DVD iso to my space on fedorapeople.org, split into 50MB
>> files using tar and download them, so that I can create the iso
>> locally and delete the files on fedorapeople.org?
>>
>> I want to know whether this is allowed and whether there are any
>> online services that I can use to get the job done. That is to split
>> the iso file into 50MB files and download them.
>>

> Ohh you made me remember my college times, with slow internet by day,
> and limited time to use the terminals, so I scheduled "at" jobs to run
> late night, opening FTPMail sessions (servers that downloaded files for
> you and sent it to you in chunks by email) and joining the parts the
> next day. Great times :P

no matter how much advanced the technology is, history repeats :-)

Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/11 06:19, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
>> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
>> file.
>
> <snipped>
>
> torrent?

nope, torrents are not allowed here

> --
> Regards,
>
> Frank Murphy
> UTF_8 Encoded
> Friend of fedoraproject.org

Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 07:19, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
> <callkalpa@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
>> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
>> file.
>
> Even if you manage to download the iso, how will you update it? There
> are several packages larger than 50 MB. Anyway, if updating works you
> can try the netinstall image to install over the network.

I didn't get you clearly. But I guess you are thinking that I'll
download the individual packages. Nope I'm not doing it that way. I
want to download the iso, one file and want it split to small files.

> --
> Suvayu

Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 22:09:22 +0530,
Kalpa Welivitigoda <callkalpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought to this, whether wget supports retrieving specified blocks
> of files. But I couldn't find a proper arguments to test that.

--header allows you to add arbitary http headers. I think you can just
add a range header, but there might be some complications.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 22:09:22 +0530,
> *Kalpa Welivitigoda <callkalpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I thought to this, whether wget supports retrieving specified blocks
>> of files. But I couldn't find a proper arguments to test that.
>
> --header allows you to add arbitary http headers. I think you can just
> add a range header, but there might be some complications.

This time I tried to download the live CD iso

$ wget --header "Range: bytes=100-500"
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/16/Live/i686/Fedora-16-i686-Live-Desktop.iso

It keeps on retrying, following is one of the attempts

--2011-11-10 16:48:53-- (try: 8)
http://mirror.de.leaseweb.net/fedora/linux/releases/16/Live/i686/Fedora-16-i686-Live-Desktop.iso
Connecting to mirror.de.leaseweb.net|2a00:c98:2010:1:1:face:d06: f00d|:80...
connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content
Retrying.

--
Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Frank Murphy

On 10/11/11 16:40, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Frank Murphy<frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/11/11 06:19, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
>>> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
>>> file.

This link may help:
http://linuxandfriends.com/2008/11/01/curl-split-a-file-and-download-simultaneously-from-multiple-locations/

Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/11 16:40, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:

> This link may help:
> http://linuxandfriends.com/2008/11/01/curl-split-a-file-and-download-simultaneously-from-multiple-locations/

This seems to work. I'll check and update tomorrow

Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 22:12 +0530, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 07:19, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
> > <callkalpa@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
> >> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
> >> file.
> >
> > Even if you manage to download the iso, how will you update it? There
> > are several packages larger than 50 MB. Anyway, if updating works you
> > can try the netinstall image to install over the network.
> >

> I didn't get you clearly. But I guess you are thinking that I'll
> download the individual packages. Nope I'm not doing it that way. I
> want to download the iso, one file and want it split to small files.

Could you try an http install so only have to download a
netinstall.iso/boot.iso and let it download/install over the internet?
That takes care of one box until get hands on an iso or dvd or something
(hell can someone mail a dvd to you? lol)

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 22:12 +0530, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Even if you manage to download the iso, how will you update it? There
>> > are several packages larger than 50 MB. Anyway, if updating works you
>> > can try the netinstall image to install over the network.
>> >

>> I didn't get you clearly. But I guess you are thinking that I'll
>> download the individual packages. Nope I'm not doing it that way. I
>> want to download the iso, one file and want it split to small files.
>
> Could you try an http install so only have to download a
> netinstall.iso/boot.iso and let it download/install over the internet?
> That takes care of one box until get hands on an iso or dvd or something

well I thought to do a fresh install. This won't do that I hope.

> (hell can someone mail a dvd to you? lol)

he he yeah that is the easiest way. But this was there's a lot to learn :-)

> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best town on Earth!"