Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

Default F15_64: K3b fails, wants HAL

F15_64: K3b fails with a popup that says the to be
sure the HAL daemon is running. "systemctl list-units"
does not show HAL, and goog says HAL is depricated.

What to do? BTW, my cdrom has a SATA interface.

Thanks,
Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org

Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger@ieee.org> wrote:
> F15_64: K3b fails with a popup that says the to be
> sure the HAL daemon is running. *"systemctl list-units"
> does not show HAL, and goog says HAL is depricated.

HAL is depreciated but there are some corner cases where udev or dbus
don't yet completely fill the void.Optical devices is one of those
corner cases.

A quick search shows that k3b can be built with or without HAL but I'm
not sure how it was built in Fedora.

> What to do? *BTW, my cdrom has a SATA interface.

If it's truely needed HAL should have been pulled in as a dependency
when you installed k3b,

Richard

Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

[...]

If this it?

[root@mbrc40 ~]# yum list installed | grep -i hal
hal-libs.x86_64 0.5.14-6.fc15
@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201105131943.x86_64

If so, how do I get the daemon started?
find /lib -iname "*.service" | grep -i hal
finds some things named "halt", but no "hal".
ls /etc/init.d/ | grep -i hal
finds nothing.

If not, is there something I should "yum install"?

Thanks,
Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org

Old 11-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger@ieee.org> wrote:
> [...]

I'm not sure hal runs as a traditional daemon. Try "yum install hal"
and see if that clears it up.

Richard