Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Grub2 boot order

There does not appear to be an option in grub2
to boot eg from entry 2 rather then the first entry.
(I know of course one can go down the entries with the mouse;
I'm talking about an option to make entry 2 the default.)

Incidentally, I don't seem to have a manual entry for grub2
(or grub) in Fedora-16.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:02:56 +0100, TM (Timothy) wrote:

> There does not appear to be an option in grub2
> to boot eg from entry 2 rather then the first entry.
> (I know of course one can go down the entries with the mouse;
> I'm talking about an option to make entry 2 the default.)
>
> Incidentally, I don't seem to have a manual entry for grub2
> (or grub) in Fedora-16.

$ rpm -qd grub2
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/INSTALL
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/README
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/README.Fedora
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/THANKS
/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/TODO
/usr/share/info/grub2-dev.info.gz <-- (!)
/usr/share/info/grub2.info.gz <-- (!)

You can use your favourite "info" file viewer.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.07 0.04 0.05

Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Antonio M

2011/11/10 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:02:56 +0100, TM (Timothy) wrote:
>
>> There does not appear to be an option in grub2
>> to boot eg from entry 2 rather then the first entry.
>> (I know of course one can go down the entries with the mouse;
>> I'm talking about an option to make entry 2 the default.)
>>
>> Incidentally, I don't seem to have a manual entry for grub2
>> (or grub) in Fedora-16.
>
> $ rpm -qd *grub2
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/COPYING
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/ChangeLog
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/INSTALL
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/NEWS
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/README
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/README.Fedora
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/THANKS
> /usr/share/doc/grub2-1.99/TODO
> /usr/share/info/grub2-dev.info.gz * * * *<-- (!)
> /usr/share/info/grub2.info.gz * * * * * *<-- (!)
>
> You can use your favourite "info" file viewer.
>
> --
> Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
> loadavg: 0.07 0.04 0.05

these readings don't answer the general question:

what is the correct procedure to modify the configuration file???

I will proceed to read grub documentation elsewhere
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:47:15 +0100, AM (Antonio) wrote:

> these readings don't answer the general question:
>
> what is the correct procedure to modify the configuration file???

It depends on which tools you will use.

/etc/grub.d/40_custom
: the config file where to add your own menu entries

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
: the command to run to recreate the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file
: including automatically finding other OSs with the help of
: the os-prober tool (if installed)

/etc/default/grub
: configuration settings
: such as GRUB_DEFAULT, see info grub2 section 5.1

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.61 0.62 0.40

Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Pavel Lisy

Timothy Murphy p*še v Čt 10. 11. 2011 v 14:02 +0100:

There does not appear to be an option in grub2
to boot eg from entry 2 rather then the first entry.
(I know of course one can go down the entries with the mouse;
I'm talking about an option to make entry 2 the default.)

See this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Grub2

there is excelent explanation to your (and my too) question

--- quote ---

Setting default entry

Due to grub2-mkconfig (and os-prober) we cannot predict the order of the entries in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, so we set the default by name/title instead. To do this, we set two things: First, we set

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

in /etc/default/grub. Second, we call

grub2-set-default <title or number>

with the title of the newly installed Fedora's entry. From that point on you can change the default by calling

grub2-set-default <title or number>

or view it by running

grub2-editenv list

--- quote ---