-   -   Fedora 64 bits (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/596679-fedora-64-bits.html)

Miguel Cardenas 11-10-2011 11:02 AM

Fedora 64 bits

Hello friends

I just bought a notebook that comes with Win7 64bits, am going to replace the system with linux but I have some doubts...

Currently am downloading Fedora 16 (tried Fedora 15 in my old laptop but prefer the latest fresh version) 64bit version, but can't remember where I read that the 64bit linux system sometimes has incompatibility problems with some drivers and applications and recommended to use the 32bits... Is it true? It has an AMD E-350 dual core processor... Anyway will try this one but want to know if there's something I should be aware of... I can still get the 32bit version in case of troubles...

Thanks for any comment
--
Miguel Cardenas

"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" 11-10-2011 11:14 AM

Fedora 64 bits

On 10/11/11 12:02, Miguel Cardenas wrote:
> Hello friends
>
> I just bought a notebook that comes with Win7 64bits, am going to
> replace the system with linux but I have some doubts...
>
> Currently am downloading Fedora 16 (tried Fedora 15 in my old laptop but
> prefer the latest fresh version) 64bit version, but can't remember where
> I read that the 64bit linux system sometimes has incompatibility
> problems with some drivers and applications and recommended to use the
> 32bits... Is it true? It has an AMD E-350 dual core processor... Anyway
> will try this one but want to know if there's something I should be
> aware of... I can still get the 32bit version in case of troubles...
>
> Thanks for any comment
>
> --
> Miguel Cardenas

Most of the 64bit problems are fixed, so I doubt you'll have any
problems specific to 64bit implementation. Certainly I've been using
64bit Fedora on my laptop for ~2 years without problems due to 64bit.
More to the point 32bit implementations cannot handle more than 4Gb of
memory should you ever wish to have 4Gb or more memory.

HTH

cpp4ever

Roberto Ragusa 11-10-2011 01:15 PM

Fedora 64 bits

On 11/10/2011 01:14 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> Most of the 64bit problems are fixed, so I doubt you'll have any
> problems specific to 64bit implementation. Certainly I've been using
> 64bit Fedora on my laptop for ~2 years without problems due to 64bit.
> More to the point 32bit implementations cannot handle more than 4Gb of
> memory should you ever wish to have 4Gb or more memory.

Not true.
The 32bit one can see more than 4GiB (typing on a laptop with 8GiB),
if you use kernel-PAE instead of kernel.

Anyway, it is better to use the 64bit version whenever you have more
than 0.9GiB of RAM. (yes, zero point nine)

Go for 64.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Steve Underwood 11-10-2011 01:25 PM

Fedora 64 bits

On 11/10/2011 08:02 PM, Miguel Cardenas wrote:
> Hello friends
>
> I just bought a notebook that comes with Win7 64bits, am going to
> replace the system with linux but I have some doubts...
>
> Currently am downloading Fedora 16 (tried Fedora 15 in my old laptop
> but prefer the latest fresh version) 64bit version, but can't remember
> where I read that the 64bit linux system sometimes has incompatibility
> problems with some drivers and applications and recommended to use the
> 32bits... Is it true? It has an AMD E-350 dual core processor...
> Anyway will try this one but want to know if there's something I
> should be aware of... I can still get the 32bit version in case of
> troubles...
>
> Thanks for any comment
From the time AMD launched the first x86_64 chip, most of us have been
running 64 bit Linux on 64 bit CPUs. I was running 64 bit Linux on
Alphas for years before that. Its a long long time since there were are
real issues running 64 bit Linux. There are, however, a few programs
that misbehave in odd ways when you run 32 bit Linux on 64 bit hardware.
I assume its because those programs misinterpret the platform they are
running on in some way. I've never taken the time to investigate. It
makes far more sense to just install 64 Linux.

Steve

R Sampath 11-10-2011 04:35 PM

Fedora 64 bits

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> wrote:

> Hello friends

> I just bought a notebook that comes with Win7 64bits, am going to

> replace the system with linux but I have some doubts...

> Currently am downloading Fedora 16 (tried Fedora 15 in my old laptop

> but prefer the latest fresh version) 64bit version, but can't remember

> where I read that the 64bit linux system sometimes has incompatibility

> problems with some drivers and applications and recommended to use the

> 32bits... Is it true? It has an AMD E-350 dual core processor...

> Anyway will try this one but want to know if there's something I

> should be aware of... I can still get the 32bit version in case of

> troubles...

> Thanks for any comment
*
*From the time AMD launched the first x86_64 chip, most of us have been

running 64 bit Linux on 64 bit CPUs. I was running 64 bit Linux on

Alphas for years before that. Its a long long time since there were are

real issues running 64 bit Linux. There are, however, a few programs

that misbehave in odd ways when you run 32 bit Linux on 64 bit hardware.

I assume its because those programs misinterpret the platform they are

running on in some way. I've never taken the time to investigate. It

makes far more sense to just install 64 Linux.
Well, I also used as a live cd 64 bit fedora core 15, but it showed some errors in graphics and probably my printer was not working (might it doesn't work in live cd mode). But i guess that is the problem of use of 'live cd' and after installation no such issue would be there.

--
THX