Old 11-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda

Default limitations of fedorapeople.org

Hi,

I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
file. I do have my space on fedorapeople.org. Is it allowed to
download F16 DVD iso to my space on fedorapeople.org, split into 50MB
files using tar and download them, so that I can create the iso
locally and delete the files on fedorapeople.org?

I want to know whether this is allowed and whether there are any
online services that I can use to get the job done. That is to split
the iso file into 50MB files and download them.

--
Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Callkalpa
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Danishka Navin

Hi Kalpa,

I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't

allow to download large files.
I can give you a copy of Fedora 16 liveCD and IveDVD download is in progress.
I will give a LiveDVD copy once the download is completed.
*

http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/

Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Danishka Navin <danishka@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kalpa,
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
> <callkalpa@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
>> allow to download large files.
>
> I can give you a copy of Fedora 16 liveCD and IveDVD download is in
> progress.
> I will give a LiveDVD copy once the download is completed.

The thing is I'm at the uni and won't be able to go home for a while
due to the exams

Old 11-10-2011, 05:34 AM
Ed Greshko

On 11/10/2011 02:19 PM, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
> file. I do have my space on fedorapeople.org. Is it allowed to
> download F16 DVD iso to my space on fedorapeople.org, split into 50MB
> files using tar and download them, so that I can create the iso
> locally and delete the files on fedorapeople.org?
>
> I want to know whether this is allowed and whether there are any
> online services that I can use to get the job done. That is to split
> the iso file into 50MB files and download them.

Have you tried using a bittorrent download?

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 02:19 PM, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
>> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
>> file. I do have my space on fedorapeople.org. Is it allowed to
>> download F16 DVD iso to my space on fedorapeople.org, split into 50MB
>> files using tar and download them, so that I can create the iso
>> locally and delete the files on fedorapeople.org?
>>
>> I want to know whether this is allowed and whether there are any
>> online services that I can use to get the job done. That is to split
>> the iso file into 50MB files and download them.
>>

> Have you tried using a bittorrent download?

Unfortunately torrent is also not allowed here

> --
> Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
> speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 AM
Danishka Navin

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Kalpa Welivitigoda <callkalpa@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Danishka Navin <danishka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kalpa,

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda

> <callkalpa@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> Hi,

>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't

>> allow to download large files.

> I can give you a copy of Fedora 16 liveCD and IveDVD download is in

> progress.

> I will give a LiveDVD copy once the download is completed.

The thing is I'm at the uni and won't be able to go home for a while

due to the exams

I do not mind if you use the hosting spaces of either sf.net or ibiblio or LEARN (learn.ac.lk) provided for the* Hanthana Project.

I think this will help to many of university students.

Btw, since we have a fedora mirror at LEARN all the Universities can downloaded it faster.
Its matter of using local IP (from your university)

anyway I could not find the ISO file at learn server. [1]

Let me contact them
[1] http://mirror.learn.ac.lk/fedora/releases/16/Fedora/i386/iso/

Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Danishka Navin <danishka@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Kalpa Welivitigoda <callkalpa@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Danishka Navin <danishka@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Kalpa,

>> > I can give you a copy of Fedora 16 liveCD and IveDVD download is in
>> > progress.
>> > I will give a LiveDVD copy once the download is completed.
>> >

>> The thing is I'm at the uni and won't be able to go home for a while
>> due to the exams
>>

> I do not mind if you use the hosting spaces of either sf.net or ibiblio or
> LEARN (learn.ac.lk) provided for the* Hanthana Project.
> I think this will help to many of university students.
>
> Btw, since we have a fedora mirror at LEARN all the Universities can
> downloaded it faster.
> Its matter of using local IP (from your university)

yeah it is.

> anyway I could not find the ISO file at learn server. [1]
> Let me contact them

well, I tried to download F15 DVD iso, it downloads although it is a
bit slow. But F16 DVD iso is not yet there.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Andre Robatino

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda <callkalpa <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:

> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
> file. I do have my space on fedorapeople.org. Is it allowed to
> download F16 DVD iso to my space on fedorapeople.org, split into 50MB
> files using tar and download them, so that I can create the iso
> locally and delete the files on fedorapeople.org?
>
> I want to know whether this is allowed and whether there are any
> online services that I can use to get the job done. That is to split
> the iso file into 50MB files and download them.

What happens if you try to download a file larger than 50 MB using wget and it
hits the limit? Can you resume it using "wget -c <file>" and continue the
download up to 100 MB? If so, you could just repeat until the whole download is
finished.

BTW, if you have the corresponding F15 DVD, I've posted delta ISOs from 15 to 16
at

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/deltaisos/16-Final/From_15-Final/

which are about 42% of the full F16 DVD ISO size.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Kalpa Welivitigoda

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Andre Robatino
<robatino@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda <callkalpa <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
>> I want to download F16 and currently my internet connection doesn't
>> allow to download large files. The maximum allowable size is 50MB a
>> file. I do have my space on fedorapeople.org. Is it allowed to
>> download F16 DVD iso to my space on fedorapeople.org, split into 50MB
>> files using tar and download them, so that I can create the iso
>> locally and delete the files on fedorapeople.org?
>>
>> I want to know whether this is allowed and whether there are any
>> online services that I can use to get the job done. That is to split
>> the iso file into 50MB files and download them.
>
> What happens if you try to download a file larger than 50 MB using wget and it
> hits the limit? Can you resume it using "wget -c <file>" and continue the
> download up to 100 MB? If so, you could just repeat until the whole download is
> finished.

nope, it doesn't download till 50MB. Since the file is more than 50MB,
it terminates the download at the very beginning. If the file is less
than 50MB only, it gets downloaded.

> BTW, if you have the corresponding F15 DVD, I've posted delta ISOs from 15 to 16
> at
>
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/deltaisos/16-Final/From_15-Final/
>
> which are about 42% of the full F16 DVD ISO size.

Thanks. But this even won't help at the moment, since it exceeds 50MB.
I would upgrade to yum but it also doesn't work. This goes through a
proxy. And I wish to have a fresh install of F16. So downloading the
iso seems the only option.

Best Regards,

Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda
http://about.me/callkalpa

Old 11-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Joe Zeff

On 11/09/2011 10:19 PM, Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda wrote:
> I want to know whether this is allowed and whether there are any
> online services that I can use to get the job done. That is to split
> the iso file into 50MB files and download them.

You might consider using jigdo to download it. It picks up the files
one by one and puts them into the right places to recreate the .iso on
your hard drive.